Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 2009 04:14:00 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Propex Install in '84 Wolfsburg at Westy Ventures

>Where in California are you located?

S.F. Bay Area.

>I wish I was near Carl's shop!

I was glad I could meet up with Karl at his shop in Maryland.

>Go Westy wanted over $1,100 labor alone to install a Propex, and >another Sourthern California place was asking over $800!

Ouch! I hadn't asked GoWesty, because I meant to do it myself. Karl lists his installation fee on his web site:

http://www.westyventures.com/propex.html

I wouldn't be surprised to see Karl's fee go up a bit. It is a lot of work, and his experience is worth a lot.

>Mine's still in the box ...

I encourage you to install it yourself! Just because I was afraid to drill holes in the floor doesn't mean you should be. It's not difficult. In my case, it was mostly procrastination!

>Ideally I'd like to get a Vitrifrigo and install the Propex below the fridge.

That'd open up more storage under the seat, but I like my arrangement pretty well: I have an Engel fridge, so I have the whole fridge cabinet for storage. My Engel doesn't have a separate freezer section, but I prefer the door on the top, so the cold air stays inside when I open it!

I'm planning to build another cabinet under the Engel. That'll mean the right front seat won't be usable when turned 180 degrees, but I don't mind.

Wherever you put it, the Propex is a nice size to stay out of the way until it's needed.