Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:58:02 -0600
From:         Adrian Bertarelli <abertarelli@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Warm engine missing 87 Westy GL
Comments: To: Joel Cort <joel_cort@yahoo.com>

Had same issues moth balled my van for 2 years. I really wanted to do an engine conversion, but every time i saved enough money i would have some life disaster that trumped the syncro. So i finally got to the point where i needed to do something. This is what i did and it solved all the weird running, idling, stalling, rough running, funkyness my van had. I pulled the o2 sensor out cleaned it and replaced the wiring from it. I also ran a ground strap from the body to one of the bolts on the exhaust system to better ground the sensor. I also replaced my cat, because it was starting to break up. I then replaced all ground straps, cleaned the area around them on the chassis, and replaced all the rusty bolts with new ones. I also opened up the afm and cleaned it out, i also pulled the idle stabalizer and cleaned it out. Hasn't run in 2 years, passed emissions no problem and we just went from boulder to aspen up independent pass, through buena vista and back to boulder with no issues at all. It was a pleasure to drive and i had forgotten how much fun the westy is. What i did didnt take much time, but it did solve all the issues. I hope my insight can help you get past your problems. Adrian

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Joel Cort<joel_cort@yahoo.com> wrote: > Finn, > > Check the ground wires as well.  Ground wires to the engine and to the O2 sensor.  If those wire are corroded from sitting around you will not have a good engine grounding and that could also cause some performance issues. > > good luck, >  Joel Cort > Camping in NY > > > 89 Syncro Westy (CinnabarVan) > 87 Syncro Transporter (Stella) > 73 Westy Campmobile (agent orange) > > > Founding Member of the Empire VW Camping Club > & > Westies at Watkins - www.westies-at-watkins.org > > > > > ________________________________ > From: Finn Runyon <finn.runyon@VERIZON.NET> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 8:42:16 PM > Subject: Warm engine missing 87 Westy GL > > Hey Everyone, > > I have been off the list for a while as my 87 has been moth balled since > last simmer, thank you in advance!  I have had much assistance over the > years!  At the end of the summer last year after a 1200 mile trip my engine > started acting up.  It starts well and warms up smoothly.  As soon as it > gets warm, simply at idle it starts running really rough as if it is running > on only 2 or 3 cylinders.  Also black smoke from the exhaust.  It I try to > drive, or rev the engine, it will accelerate very poorly, missing terribly. > I have been searching the archives to no avail.  Can anyone offer an idea at > to what is going on? > > Thanks,  Finn Runyon > > > > >