Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:05:18 -0400
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine to auto-tranny match and the Indy 500

Almost any tranny swap (except Porsche) for the T3 would have to be accompanied by an engine swap. I could see the Bostig guys offering something like this. They're the only company I know of that offers a truly complete solution, so a engine/tranny swap would make sense.

My favorite swap is the Audi V6 (gas or TDi) and Audi tranny into the T3. A few companies in Germany offer this swap and it is a sweet driving setup. Bring your wallet...

Cheers,

Jeff

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Greg Potts<greg@pottsfamily.ca> wrote: > Hi Marc, > > I'd be willing to surmise that there are probably dozens, if not > hundreds of potential transmissions out there that would meet your need. > > The problem is that very very few of them are going to fit in the space > allocated to the vanagon powertrain. > > Porsche is about the only rear-engine manufacturer I can think of that > builds high-performance rear engine vehicles; but I can't imagine the > fiscal nightmare it would be to retrofit a tiptronic 6-speed auto into a > westy. But the 911 does offer such an option, should you have the funds > to pursue it. > > Happy Trails, > > Greg Potts > 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" > 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop > www.busesofthecorn.com > www.pottsfamily.ca > > > > Marc Perdue wrote: >> >> This is kind of what I was getting at.  Is there any kind of automatic >> transmission alternative that could take advantage of the torquey >> (technical term again) Vanagon engine and make it work well in the >> urban environment, give us the power we need to safely go over the >> mountains, and, as long as I'm dreaming, possibly give us better gas >> mileage?  Presumably, if there were such a thing, we'd already know >> about it, but . . . >> >> Marc >> >