Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:54:26 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Drafting (was Re: Engine to auto-tranny match and the Indy 500

I've lost track of who said what, so . . .

IF the stock engine cooling system is up to snuff, any normal vehicle operation will NOT cause the engine to overheat.

If you want your wasserboxer engine to have a long and healthy life, keep the rpms under 4K. That's conservative, but prudent. Yes, I know it will take more (I've done it), but why?

I drive 6% (and greater) grades regularly ('85 fully loaded Westy with 2.1L and standard 4 speed tranny). Gear down, stay between 2500 and 4000rpms, kick back, and you'll get to the top just fine. "If I wanted to get there faster, I would have driven something else". (No Jeff, not the DOKA!)

It IS normal for the engine to get warmer (evern hot) on long grades. This is NOT overheating, unless the red light starts flashing. If it does, pull over and let things cool offf for a while. If you regularly experience the red flashing light, something is wrong, and you won't be rid of the problem until you spend the appropriate amount of $$$ to fix it right. Add-ons don't work.

Drafting will NOT cause your engine to overheat, even though there will be somewhat less air flow (remember the radiator fan?).

Drafting IS NOT safe practice, though many do it to one extenet or another. The limiting ffactor is NOT the braking ability of the truck in front of you, but the lack of reaction time should God-only-knows-what happen in front of the truck (another truck; big rock; elk on hiway, etc.)

The vehicles are well designed to do what they do. Porsche designed a different vehicle to fly up hills. I can't afford one.

Rant over,

Karl Wolz