Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Aug 2009 13:04:09 -0800
From:         Jeff Hartman <jeffreyleehartman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where does Hella relay go?
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Thank you all for hanging in there with me as I blunder through this. I do have the fuse panel free enough to check the back.First, no there are no numbers on that relay other than the ones I noted. There is also an identical relay in position 5. Other relays, labeled with big white numbers are 43 (position 3), 18 (position 8), 19 (position 10), 72 (position 11) , 21 (position 12). I have neither air conditioning, nor heated seats. The vin number is: WV2XB0259GH025126. I think this bus was purchased in the U.S. So the open relay slots that I could have come out of are: 1 (no wires in back), 2(yes wires in back), 4 (yes wires in back) and 7(yes wires in back). I have it plugged into relay slot 7 right now. Note, I said earlier I had 8 relays. Sorry, apparently I can't count, because there are only 7 relays. One more than identified by Joel and Jeff Seaman for an 86 van. I don't know of any original electrical acessory that might account for this 7th relay. But that and where it is supposed to go is the mystery.

Finally, What we do with a vanagon in Juneau, is shoot up the inside passage on the Ferry, and from Haines or Skagway, that opens up the Yukon, British Columbia and rest of Alaska road system...and if you have the time, everywhere else on the road system in this hemisphere. Thanks again. Jeff Hartman 1986 vanagon

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 11:04 AM, neil N<musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/22/09, Jeff Hartman <jeffreyleehartman@gmail.com> wrote: > .......  I >> also checked my bentley, but am afraid mine only goes through 1985 (I >> know that is negligent on my part), and the fuse box in my 86 is >> entirely different than shown on pg 97.11, but it fits the exact >> description provided by Jeff Seaman and Joel Walker.  The mystery is >> that they describe 6 installed relays in the main fuse/ relay box, >> while I have 8.  I am starting to wonder if two of these additional >> relays are just extras inserted by the PO as spares.  I have had this >> vanagon since 1995.  So I am starting to remove the two screws out of >> the fuse box to see those other positions are connected to wiring or >> nothing. This vehicle has a lot of things added on to it by the PO who >> had it converted by Automotive Services Industries.  But I always >> assumed the electrical acessories like the furnace were on separately >> fused circuits, and did not use anything in the fuse box. >> >> Incidentally, the reason I was distracted from my fuse and relay >> cleaning exercise in the first place was that my wife choose that >> moment to remind me that I could have turned our vanagon into the cash >> for clunkers program, rather than messing with it now.  Contrary to >> her urging,I rejected that option, because I am sentimental about all >> the great family adventures we have had in this vehicle all across BC, >> Yukon and Alaska. >> > > > Likely you would have mentioned this, but is there a number (large) on > top of relay? > > If so, that # can be referenced to a more updated Bentley. From what I > see, one would need to know what range your VIN #  falls under (as per > my first email). > > As for PO's work done, YMMV, but almost anything can be done by a well > meaning PO. It's entirely possibly he/she used a spare spot on the > fuse/relay panel to install a relay for something non-stock. > > Neil. > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >