Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:16:12 -0700
From:         Oxroad <oxroad@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Drafting (was Re: Engine to auto-tranny match and the Indy 500
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com>

I'm with you, Robert. I've lived in LA (Hollywood-ish) for about 8 years now from New York. I suppose it is a matter of experience and I can only share mine. I find drivers in the L.A. are completely unable to understand cause and effect. (I don't find much change when they get out of their cars ;)

Turn Signals? If I ever see one turned on it is after a car stops in the middle of an intersection on surface streets.That is to say, sit at the red traffic light, when it turns green pull forward 4 feet, stop, THEN turn on left turn signal-- although the signal is rare.

I too find the drivers think they are stunt drivers and follow at about 4 feet on the freeway. I do not believe they are stunt drivers. I personally think they are morons. Given enough bandwidth I believe I could in prove they were morons using simple laws of physics.

My experience is the same as those who have a gap closed on the freeway at the risk of life and limb to make sure a person using a signal cannot change lanes here in LA.

I simply don't have enough years left in my life to begin to talk about the accepted driving practice of waiting to make a left turn at an intersection with a green light behind the crosswalk UNTIL the light turns red, then having two cars speed through the red light in keeping with what they call the "2 cars after the red" guideline.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA