Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 2009 05:33:52 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Roof-center pop top ?

Yesterday I saw a Bay Window with a pop-top (both ends rose equally, straight up) that was about the same size as the 'walkable floor space' between the front seats and the engine deck. "Adventure wagon?" maybe? The pop-up portion looked (it was open when I saw it parked at the confluence of the Columbia R. and the Klickitat R.) like it would be very low profile when closed. Open, it looked to give standing headroom inside and perhaps some ventilation...I didn't really pay close attention to the "tent" part as I drove past. This bay had a pretty stout (We sometimes say "Skookum" in the boat world) roof rack that filled the portion behind the pop-top. So, is this type roof set-up available to fit a Vanagon? If so, what would I start looking for (name, description?) to see if I could get one from the Samba, the junkyards, C4C dead vans or Craigs list? The way I use my Vanagon I don't want a full Westie roof . I have no kids to use a second bunk, don't like the extra weight up high, or the frontal and side area for driving around in the gusty winds of the Gorge and some other considerations. However, it would be very nice to be able to stand straight up inside sometimes. I could probably modify a bay window van's pop-up to fit a Vanagon..but not without some tedious work to change the roof camber and get a good seal. I think I've seen similar roofs on older smaller US vans, too, maybe. I could get the mechanicals from a pick up slide in tent-camper or something and build my own..but if they are already available, I'd rather. Used and inexpensive is best. Anybody know what I am talking about and have any leads as to where I might look for one? Don Hanson