Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:00:00 -0400
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Drafting - So Cal Drivers

I used to have that same opinion. Born and raised in San Diego (Leucadia actually) , moved to the Bay Area, and then to Sacramento. My observations at the time were that San Diego drivers were more courteous than Bay Area drivers, and that Bay Area drivers were more courteous than Sacramento drivers.

For the last year, I've been working a contract in Indianapolis and my opinion has changed. In a nutshell... the farther east you go, the more aggressive the drivers. Not sure about north and south, but along the 80 corridor, people get downright nasty as you head east. I used to thing Indiana was bad, but then I took a trip to Baltimore. The farther east I went, the more jerks I encountered, with Baltimore as the icing on the cake.

I will admit that it's a different type a jerk out here. Everything is a race. They'll shoot around you just to gain one car length in a row of cars. In Chicago, it's common to get passed on the right... on a one lane street. And lastly... they really love to tailgate. That was the first thing I noticed when I got here. Ten to fifteen feet off your bumper seems the norm, and it's not like I can smoke them in my stock Tristar (required V-Gon content). BUT, I will admit that they do seem to use their turn signals out here...

Personally, I can't wait till I get back to the California drivers...

End of reverse rant.

Cheers,

Jeff

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:04 AM, B<oddstray@oddstray.com> wrote: > Yeah.  And that polite behavior exists only in the L.A. part of SoCal, > because traffic in L.A. is so extreme the cops will issue tickets for > impeding traffic and other such stupidity. > > In Sandy Eggo, no one uses indicators before they have established > that they're changing lanes, because in Sandy Eggo the reaction to > seeing someone's indicator is to quickly close any gap so that > indicating person can't get in front of *you* ... what are they > *thinking*  they can *effing* get *behind* you ...  <grrrrrrr .... > > > <calms self down ... > > > B&S > '87 Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' > SoCal > > On Aug 26, 2009, at 8:30 PM, Melissa Mourkas wrote: > >> I can't stand it, I have to weigh in... >> That polite behavior is in So Cal ONLY!  Not evident in Sacramento or >> the Bay Area.  So Cal, different deal, 3-second rule applies, you >> will be able to merge.  Don't try it in Sacto!  Your Vanagon chrome >> bumper will get wrinkly! (Vanagon content). >> >> Melissa Mourkas >> 84 Westy "Honey Bee" >> Sacramento,CA >> >> On Aug 26, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Karl Wolz wrote: >> >>> >>> >>> When driving in Cal, I signal for a lane change, someone opens up for >>> me, and I slip in.  Darned near automatic! >>> >>> Karl >