Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 2009 23:30:59 -0500
From:         joel walker <uncajoel@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ultimate Fryedaye Bear Camping - what you left at home.

<it are already Fryedaye on the Atlantic coasts)> ...

... as i raced down the trail, a small-to-medium bear at my heels, himself being chased by a couple of dogs off leash, they being also chased by an irate granny in a suped-up motorized wheelchair, my mind wander back a few days to the Topic of ...

What did you leave at home, son? Why must you go to town, Bill?

an old refrain from the ancient times of perilous camping.

anyway, i dashed this little ditty off back then, and now offer it for your constipation ... or consideration, whichever comes first within 90 minutes, no warranties expressed, implied, or otherwise indicated by any media means whatsoever except possibly telepathy if you can prove it exists. :)

R: And now, here's something we hope you'll really like ... B: Who you calling a Fig Newton?

Camp, Camp, Camping In The Forest

(or The Alzheimer's Hope)

by Geo. F. Patoot

When we left our home that day, And began to drive away, We all thought that everything was still on board ... But when to the camp we came, We could see things weren't the same Cause the stuff we needed never had been stored.

Camp, Camp, Camping in the forest, Wond'ring what we left back home Let's get drunk and never rise, As we lay and watch the skies, We're the Vanagon in campsite number nine!

As we sat around that night Watching flames so warm and bright, Wishing now that we had brought the stupid chairs, But it's really not so bad, And it kinda makes me glad, That at least I brought my extra underwear.

<Chorus>

The kay-aks we keep on top Would be great to float and flop If a paddle we had thought to bring along. But they won't get wet this trip Cause we brought the wrong equip: Pairs of showshoes in a kayak is just wrong.

<Chorus>

So we sit and study bugs That have really silly mugs, And spend hours taunting chipmunks cause we're bored, And we swear on Bentley's Book That next time we'll surely look And pack everything that this time we ignored!

<Chorus> <Chorus>

for those of you even vaguely curious or semi-interested, i have a midi file with three verses (9kbytes) or an mp3 file with all four verses and choruses (2400kbytes). or knot. :)

and for those trying to figure the Ultimate Camping List, i re-offer this little blurb of philosophizing ...

Tales of the Workshop by Robert W. Service-Advisor :)

The Rules

When they step up inside, as you go for a ride, And the first thing they see are the tools, Then they'll ask with a smirk if you do your own work, Cause they have no idea of The Rules.

For it's Tried and it's True: What you carry with you Will help you get back; and it's certain What you leave back at home, as the country you roam, Will not help on the road when you're hurtin'.

As you go through the years, you will learn from your tears All the tools you will need on the road, And you increase the weight, in attempts to cheat fate, Adding more and more tools to your load.

Now, it's sad, but in trucks, fuel economy sucks, And gets worse with all that piled aboard, But the point we make here is that gas ain't so dear; Don't let tools and spare parts be ignored.

So the bus weighs a lot. Even more when you've got All the spare parts your money can buy Hidden under the seat, stacked so careful and neat, In the hope Murphy's Law won't apply.

But since Murphy still lives, and he seldom forgives, No matter how much you have pleaded, The Rules make it plain, but we'll state it again: Carry with you whatever is needed.

... and to all, a good night! unca joel