Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:37:03 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ultimate Camping List; Bears
Comments: To: Ron Tipton <uther@DRAGONHOME.ORG>

A valid point depending upon the dog, you can take your dog on the trail if you know how it will act or keep it on leash. Our Danes will not roam away from us nor chase animals and lead them back to us. Other dogs will and it does not have to be a bear, an angry moose is just as dangerous. Earlier this year some hikers on Bird Ridge a popular trail just south of town had their dog killed by a bear because it got to close. I think the ridge is misnamed as I have seen more bears than birds there. A couple years ago in late June I ran into a grizzly sow with two cubs atop the ridge at 11:00PM while I was on a training run. Standing there in running shorts and a t-shirt 100 yards from three grizzlies renews your feelings of mortality very quickly. Note to self, carry bearspray on training runs, a cell phone will not even slow the bear down. Bear bells are not effective, singing, and talking loud are more likely to work though in some cases nothing does.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: Ron Tipton <uther@DRAGONHOME.ORG> Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:44 pm Subject: Re: Ultimate Camping List; Bears To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM