Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:14:09 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Your GoWesty Engine...how do you like it?

At 08:59 AM 8/28/2009, RICHARD KOERNER wrote: >SO...tell me about that engine! Is it the 2.3?

Yep.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4073

>You must have previously had (like I do) the 1.9; how do you like the new one?

I like it a lot. I can't compare it to fresh 1.9, because this is my first Vanagon, and its engine was shot when I bought it. It ran, but it went up hills worse than my '82 diesel Rabbit.

Now it drives like any other car. It goes up hills without down-shifting and merges onto the freeway easily. And it gets over 20mpg pretty consistently on the highway:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/sbw/vanagon

One of the reasons I like the 2.3L engine: It's a straight modification to the stock engine. I know there are lots of conversions out there that get great results. But I think a conversion is always going to be more complex, and I really value simplicity. If the waterboxer can be made to perform better, I'd rather stick with that, at least until I know a lot more about Vanagons.

Even GoWesty's 2.3L mod introduces new complexity to ownership. That's what I like least about this engine: A 2.3L engine using the stock fuel and air system has some special requirements, and not all shops are going to deal with that well.

It's important to remember that they don't replace accessories or systems that are working well. For example, they keep the fuel and induction system from your old engine, unless they're bad. I've been lucky so far, but see the LONG AFM story below.

Still, I think any other conversion would carry more complexity than GoWesty's, so I'm happy with my decision.

>How much did it cost?

I paid the advertised price: $4,395 plus up to $1,000 core charge. I got back $854 of the core charge.

http://twitter.com/sbwsty/status/1937958899

Their minimum estimate for installation is around $1,500, but because they re-use all serviceable items outside of the engine, the cost can vary a lot. I got a new starter, for example, but my clutch was fine. See below for more.

>Running higher octane like they recommend?

Yep. In Iowa, all of the premium gas has corn in it. Not sure what to think about that.

>How does it perform on long grades?

I drove from Los Angeles to Utah shortly after the initial break-in, and it was a real pleasure. The grades were no problem at all. (But see below.)

>What other stuff did they "strongly recommend" with the new engine, >and how much did all that cost?

GoWesty strongly recommends replacing as many of the cooling hoses as possible. I was on board with that. In fact, that's partly why I had them remove the rear heater: It's kinda stoopid to begin with, and it's more hoses to fail.

Halfway through the engine installation, GoWesty called me and strongly recommended installing an entire 2.1-style cooling system. They said some of the parts for the older system are unavailable and so require adaptation, and the newer system is just better. I pushed back a bit to make sure they hadn't just gotten the idea that I have a bottomless pocketbook. In the end, I was satisfied they believe it'll be more reliable and easier to maintain, so I told them to go ahead.

I've had no problems at all with cooling. The temperature needle is, as far as I can tell, just a windshield washer for the little LED that never comes on. The needle just wipes back and forth across the face of the LED, depending on whether the A/C compressor is running or whether I'm going up a long grade. I expect that'll continue for a long time, and that's a great feeling.

The estimate for replacing the whole cooling system, parts and labor, including radiator, but WITHOUT replacing front or rear heater core or the fan:

1.9L style: $1,728 2.1L style: $2,477

While the fuel tank was out for the cooling system upgrade, they re-sealed it for about $400 parts and labor.

The muffler and cat were shot. Parts and labor: $428.

The smog check got expensive, because the PO's smog check had failed and triggered the "gross polluter" requirements. The labor required to get it to pass to those standards was about $160.

They did lots of other stuff, but I think that's everything engine-related.

Now, to expand a bit on "will it go up grades?" Yes, it was a blast to go up the grades from Los Angeles to Utah and beyond. Some are long grades. Some are steep grades. Some are some pretty long, fairly steep grades. With two people and all my full-timing gear (and more) inside and in the dry bag on the roof, we went up all of the grades on Interstate 15 more or less at the speed limit.

At first.

At some point, around southern Utah, it started losing power when I opened the throttle beyond a certain point. I got GoWesty on the phone and cleaned up the AFM as much as I could, but the results were inconsistent. At various times, I was convinced it only happened in rain, or at high altitude:

http://twitter.com/sbwsty/status/2110544429

I nursed the engine over the Continental Divide. I don't remember what was in my head that kept me from just stopping somewhere to have somebody fix it. I was able to drive the speed limit, but we lost speed on the smallest grade, because I couldn't open the throttle fully, or else the engine would LOSE power.

We got to Iowa City without too much trouble. We were there a few days, and I didn't notice the problem just driving around town.

We left Iowa for New York, but before Chicago, again in rain, it started again. I got on Autohaus and found Hollywood Motors in Chicago. We nursed the van in there, and they spent most of two days working on it.

The first words out of the mouth of the boss at Hollywood Motors were, "I think it's the fuel filter." I would have been happy to try that first, but I told them GoWesty had installed new filters. (In fact, I think GoWesty told me they modified the filter set-up to include both filters, with the plastic one in front, or something.)

Because I told the Hollywood guys I had new fuel filters, and because I was convinced it was the AFM, they checked the AFM per the service manual and found that, yes, it was bad. And they couldn't find a source for an overhauled unit.

I called GoWesty and had an overhauled AFM shipped to Chicago overnight. The next day, Hollywood installed it, but they couldn't get it to run right. Why? Because the service manual instructions for a stock 1.9 simply don't work with a stock AFM installed on GoWesty's 2.3.

This is a good example of why everybody told me to look for an '86 or later: If I understand correctly, the 2.1 can provide diagnostic data to a shop with the right equipment. That makes it easier to maintain. The 1.9 doesn't give the mechanic any data.

Hollywood worked with GoWesty by phone to get the AFM set up correctly for the 2.3. They finally got it all set up ...

And it still lost power when the throttle was opened.

At which point, the boss said, "I think it's the fuel filter." Hollywood was able to get both fuel filters locally. They put them on, taking care to catch the fuel from the old filters in jelly jars.

The plastic cubical fuel filter was full of dirt and junk and horrible oily-looking gas. (The metal cylindrical filter looked fairly clean.)

With the new fuel filters, the engine runs perfectly.

So, was the AFM bad? I choose to believe that it was. It tested bad. That's good enough for me.

Did the AFM contribute to the problem, or was it entirely the fuel filters? I don't know. I think it might have been the fuel filters alone.

Why was the upstream fuel filter full of crap? Perhaps my fuel tank is full of crap. I don't know. When GoWesty "re-seals" a fuel tank, that doesn't include, like, steam cleaning it or scraping the old, degraded sealant from the inside of the tank. They just seal it from the outside.

I now carry spare fuel filters. If it happens again, I'll try that first. If the plastic fuel filter is full of crap again, I'll be here asking where to get a new fuel tank.

Do I regret having an overhauled AFM on my overhauled, upgraded engine? Not one little bit.

I do, however, wish that GoWesty's modified engines came with an addendum to the service manual, so I can hand it to mechanics I find on Autohaus. In General Aviation, we call that "Continuing Airworthiness Information," and it's required for all modifications by Federal Aviation Regulations. I'd be willing to pay a little more for such information on my engine.

But again, even with these caveats, I'm extremely happy with my GoWesty engine.