Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:48:37 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Regreasing my CV's. Flip driveshafts on reinstall good idea?

Wrapup of CV servicing and some tips. I finished the passenger side. Followed the good instructions on: http://www.relitech.com/cvjoints.htm Additional notes and tips: * It's a good idea to brush the crude off the driveshafts and CV joints before starting disassembly (doh!) * On reassembly it helped to push the CV boot to put some pressure on the CV joint. This keeps the CV from wiggling and the newly cleaned and greased ball bearings from falling out. Pull back boot to normal position once driveshaft is installed. On some CV's the balls easily fall out others seem to "click in" and hold them. * For the circlip one needs a flat tip circlip plier, which I didn't have. I got the old one off with screwdrivers, and the new one on by pulling it open to clear the shaft using a small metal wedge (a metal pencil sharpener). * I flipped each CV joint on the shaft as suggested by listmembers, and in addition flipped the driveshaft so inner joint becomes outer. Not sure if the latter has any value, but cannot hurt in case inner wears faster. I just came back from an 800km "test drive"/4 day vacation in the Rockies. All seems to work well. Martin (with '82 Westy 1.9TD and wife+baby drafted as co-campers) --- On Sun, 8/16/09, Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca> wrote: > From: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca> > Subject: Re: Regreasing my CV's. Flip driveshafts on reinstall good idea? > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Received: Sunday, August 16, 2009, 12:47 PM > Surprises continue! > > Turns out only the first of four CV boot kits I got from > Busdepot has the new multipoint/XZN bolts. When I was > reassembling the second CV I found the good old 6mm Allen > bolts in the box. Quickly opened package 3 and 4; those have > Allen bolts also. I don't want to mount my CV's with mixed > mostly Allen and a few XZN, so I guess I will just reuse 6 > of my old bolts for now. > > Lesson learned: Open all your parts boxes and check > contents before starting project... > > Anyone else have the same experience? > > Martin (and '82 Westy 1.9TD "Poppie") > > --- On Sat, 8/15/09, Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA> > wrote: > > > The new boot kit came with those fancy multipoint > bolts. > > Anyone knows if Sears or Princess auto carry the right > one? > > Is it a torx? Or what is the technical name I should > ask > > for? > > > > (I guess these new bolts should be more resistant to > > rounding out the head compared to the 6mm allen. The > bad > > thing is that I'll have yet one more socket tip to > carry > > around. (Otherwise the Diesel Westy only needs the 6mm > Allen > > and a handful sockets to strip just about everything) > > > > > >       > __________________________________________________________________ > Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real > people. Go to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com > __________________________________________________________________ Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr! http://www.flickr.com/gift/