Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:19:04 -0800
From:         Jeff Hartman <jeffreyleehartman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where does Hella relay go?

Thanks so much for the help from all of you. Right now I am just keeping said relay in slot 7 and watching what happens. It does not seem to be impacting anything yet. On to the rest of my long vanagon fix-it list now. Jeff Hartman Juneau, Alaska 86 vanagon 2wd, w conversions from ASI

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 6:14 PM, mark drillock<mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > Oops, the unused output pin for empty relay socket 7 is B20 not A22. > > Relay socket 6 is unused as well, with none of it's pins wired up in > Vanagons. Used as a general purpose relay position in other VW models > that use the same fuse/relay panel. It has a dedicated 4 pin connector > on the back of the panel and VW added a small harness to it when they > wanted to use relay position 6 for something. Various late 80s > Golf/Jetta/Cabriolet used it for a horn relay. > > Bentley pages 97.80 and 97.81 show relay sockets 6 and 7 near the top > and you can see that they are not used . Socket 6 hooks to the 4 pins of > the L connector on the rear. The connectors and pins are most clearly > seen on page 97.68. > > Mark > > mark drillock wrote: >> >> Relay position 7 is not used. The empty socket is there for a lighting >> related option not found in US models. 3 of the 4 legs are wired up and >> that Hella  relay should click whenever the running lights are turned >> on/off while the key is on but the output leg of the relay has nothing >> to do. Some enterprising person could have figured this out and added a >> wire to pin A22 so the relay could be used. My guess is it was intended >> for Daytime Headlights but that option uses a different relay position >> mounted externally to the panel. >> >> Mark >> >> >> >> Jeff Hartman wrote: >>> >>> Thank you all  for hanging in there with me as I blunder through this. >>>  I do have the fuse panel free enough to check the back.First, no >>> there are no numbers on that relay other than the ones I noted. There >>> is also an identical relay in position 5. Other relays, labeled with >>> big white numbers are 43 (position 3), 18 (position 8), 19 (position >>> 10), 72 (position 11) , 21 (position 12).  I have neither air >>> conditioning, nor heated seats.  The vin number is: WV2XB0259GH025126. >>>  I think this bus was purchased in the U.S.  So the open relay slots >>> that I could have come out of are: 1 (no wires in back), 2(yes wires >>> in back), 4 (yes wires in back) and 7(yes wires in back).  I have it >>> plugged into relay slot 7 right now.  Note, I said earlier I had 8 >>> relays.  Sorry, apparently I can't count, because there are only 7 >>> relays.  One more than identified by Joel and Jeff Seaman for an 86 >>> van.  I don't know of any original electrical acessory that might >>> account for this 7th relay.  But that and where it is supposed to go >>> is the mystery. >>> >>> >> >