Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:48:41 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      trip report this weekend past short trip happy driver
Comments: To: Wetwesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

greetings fellow vanagoners and westie types

thursday night past found me sitting in the ferry line up waiting for the last sailing of the day to vancouver island i arrived in courtenay sometme arond 10 30 pm and found my regular tim hortons closed ..( it hink the power was out as that end of town was in darkness .. i had to go back to the bank to cllect cash in smaller bills so i could then get a snack at gas station ... new rules make 50$ bill useless after 7 pm so with my trusty salt and vinegar chips beside me and a couple of cans of barqs root beer away i went sailing down the island highway... high winds after little quilicum river caused me to dance around the road a little but one of the advantages of later night travel is the lack of traffic so my diesel kept up good speed all the way to nanaimo ..unlike when traffic is heavy and i lose the momentum ... arrived at my friends place around midnight and curled up in the westie in the driveway to sleep and wait for daylight ... next morning ... fueled by blueberry pancakes my friend had made we headed for thetis island to attend a mens retreat at capernwray ...

after a weekend of most interesting spiritual adventure we got in the line up to head home ... ferry off thetis was as delightful as it was when arriving ...(35$ round trip) each mile in the westie made my friend more impressed with our speed and dexterity ... plus he liked the quietness of my factory diesel ... which is something nearly everyone comments on ..;)

dropped my pal off at his home and i motored on my way ... had to get to little river to catch ferry back home ...

the traffic was very heavy and several times i was forced to maintain a speed which makes my diesel feel like it is tethered ... then over the miles i would regain my momentum ... used about 5/8 a tank of diesel which is nothing to brag about ... should have been less than 1/2 but there are some things not 100% with my engine all in all it was a great journey and i saw several westies and other configurations and variations of vw types ... waved at nearly every single one of them ... arrived home on the last ferry to powell river sunday night ... my wife was happy to see the square headlights on the wall of our home ... happy indeed

another great moment in westie travel and i was safely and confidently ensconced ... yours

-- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners and ... older work at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364