Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:02:57 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Morning Gnarliness: how to deal with
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

At 05:27 PM 8/30/2009, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >Out of curiosity -- how high is the seat of the Thetford 135?

One foot. You'll need a platform. Or look at the 465 which is 16-1/2" tall. A commercial seat-raiser *might* work, and one with legs surely would. You could probably secure the legs to the Potti and just rest the seat on them for use. But I bet the best thing would be a chunk of Styrofoam flotation material (NOT beadboard). It's light, doesn't absorb water, use any height you like and leave it loose or Velcro it to the waste tank. It isn't cheap -- 7x20x48 is about $80 online http://www.marinefoam.com/styrofoam.html but if you can get a cutoff the total cost wouldn't be bad. It cuts with a hot wire or you can saw it like wood. You could get fancy and put some 1/8" ply on the bottom for ding protection, but I'm not sure I'd bother.

>AND, the fellow with one presently working leg asks, how much does a >"loaded" Thetford 135 weigh? I mean, unused but filled with fresh flush >water.

The unit itself might weigh ten pounds, and it holds 10 liters (22#) each top and bottom. But there's no need to fill the top; a quart of water should do several flushes (I believe the pump delivers two ounces per squish, and it shoots around the bowl from the top), and you've got plenty of water in the sink. If it's full on top and empty bottom it's a bit top-heavy. I'm thinking you could go around fifteen pounds, ready to go but Emptying is of course at your discretion, no need to wait until it's full. The sewage takes a few days maybe to fully liquefy. About emptying -- you carry it to a toilet, fold out the discharge pipe and unscrew the cap -- might be an issue of hand strength there, in which case a strap clamp from Home Depot etc ought to do the trick. Then you lift it by the handle and push a vent button. WARNING -- the discharge pipe is about 2 and a half inches diameter, and the thing empties Right Now when you push the button. The treated sewage is liquid and pretty inoffensive, but the (standard, formaldehyde-based) chemical is deep blue and stains.

>Finally, can this commode be carried with one hand?

The bottom's easy, good handle, carries like a briefcase and has a clip that keeps one bottle of chemical (two treatments) with it. The top -- awkward, probably the cap would drip or maybe even run if it were down. Ah -- tkae off the fill cap and hook two fingers into it. I suspect that would be easy-peasy if it weren't too full. The empty top is a good deal lighter than the empty bottom. All together -- if you could get it up onto your hip and carry it like a baby it might work. It's 14x15, and the actual seat and lid are very light and intended to come off, so no top grip. Otherwise I think you'd have to rig a sling handle, maybe screw it into the sides of the waste tank for security. Would have to use the bottom tank -- it's held on securely by a lever-action latch, but if the latch handle got bumped the tank would jump off.

'Zat help?

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"