Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:27:01 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Wire size question.

I have a spotlight on the roof of my van and like to use it, when safe, to light far down the road or along the shoulders. Sometimes for setting up camp after we're stopped. Right now, I am only using it for short periods because it's wired into my interior celing light circuit, which I am assuming isn't adequate for a prolonged big draw accessory like that spotlight...20amps, maybe. The light came with a short supply wire that is quite small gauge...Maybe #8...Which seems small to me, but I am an electrical dunce. Right now I've simply run a wire from my over the drivers door interior light across the top of the windshield to the spotlight..Works, but I worry about the draw and I want it on my secondary battery rather than the starting batt. So, I am planning on taking a wire from my Aux battery (under the drivers seat) fuse block (inside the undersink cabinet) up to the spotlight. I would like to be correct with the wiring. The run will be about 6-8' from the fuse block up to the pigtail that comes right out of the light. I plan on crimping the supply line with a butt splice. My question(s) are: What size wire should I run up to the light and won't that small wire pigtail that came on the Unity spotlight get hot if I use it? When you take a big wire for a long run then hook into a short smaller wire does the small wire become the hot spot in the whole run? Not sure I am asking this right, but it's the best I can do with the electrical knowledge I have.. thanks, Don Hanson