Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Aug 2009 12:03:53 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Identifying a Darrel Bohler-repaired ECU

I have in my hot little hands a 2.1 ECU without the B or D on the tail end of the part number and it came off an 87 Syncro. It has a little sticker on the back with initials and a September date written on it on a small round yellow sticker like you'd see on a garage sale item. Upon opening up the unit (I couldn't tell a good solder joint from a crappy one) and visually inspecting it, I'll describe what I can ID and then the electronics gurus can maybe chime in and tell me if this looks/sounds like Darrel's work, or whether it sounds like factory stuff.. I don't think there''s any question that the innards have been played with as the internal phillips screws holding the circuit boards have certainly been twisted. The big thing I noticed were several dabs of a white caulk-like substance in and around some of the electronic pieces that I would find strange to come from the factory like that. Again, I'm not an electronics person, so let me know what you think.

TIA

Max