Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:31:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: was 15" Tires for Westy-Now Spare Tire
Comments: To: Melissa Mourkas <westywoman@MAC.COM>

Hi, Using a 14 inch tire and wheel for a spare is fine, as long as you are 2WD and not Syncro.

If it's for 'really serious use' ......like for major trips where you want to be able to run at full speed and load on your spare, you might want to have a really good spare. The most important thing, besides condition and load rating ...is diameter. You want it medium close to the same outside diameter as what you are running on the ground. And if you are running special 15 inch wheels or whatever, that use their own type of lug nuts/bolts... you need to carry 5 lug nuts for the rear, and 5 lug bolts for the rear to use with your stock 14 inch wheel - keep that in mind.

Did you not see my post about a 15 inch tire - 195/65 R 15 ? that is a very nice narrow 15 inch tire that will probably fit where a 185 R 14 C or 195/75 R 14 LT was.

vans that came with 205/70 R 14's .....have a spare tire holder clamshell with a 'drop' where the front bolt is, and those will hold a 205/65 R 15 C Michelin Aiguilles spare. . Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa Mourkas" <westywoman@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:56 PM Subject: Re: was 15" Tires for Westy-Now Spare Tire