Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:23:19 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagons and part
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote:

> . These ARE, despite > the attitudes of many on the list, really difficult vehicles, for both > owners and shops. One has to have an interest in them for the sake of > other qualities they have (and really, it isn't that they are good > vehicles, it's that we like certain features), in order to put up with > them. Dave Mc > > Dave, I have to differ with you on Vanagons being "really difficult vehicles" That is just not so. Vanagons are relatively simple straight forward machines. I agree that as supplied by the factory, they have some shortcomings, but 'difficulty' isn't one of them. A difficult vehicle...Almost every vehicle on the road is harder to wrench on than a VW Vanagon. Porsche Boxster? Gotta remove the motor to change the spark plugs! Porsche 928? over 80 relays in that one and 32 valves run by a belt that turns 4 camshafts..A Ford? If you don't have the multi-thousand dollar computer diagnostic tool...forget it..

I agree that dealers might find it difficult to make money working on a vanagon. That doesn't make the vehicle itself a 'difficult' vehicle. They would like to be able to move in a "Unit", stick in on the diagnostic, have the fault sheet printed out and their Tech unplug the faulty "Module" and replace it with one costing a few thou...Get the Unit out the door and move in the next Unit...All without anyone knowing much..other than how to put new paper into the office printer so that the invoices get printed correctly and the inventory of "modules" are correctly re-ordered for the next faulty "Unit" that makes them a profit.. When a "profitable (for the Dealers) vehicle" has a problem, we're expected to flat-bed it to the dealer for diagnostics or get a whole new vehicle..."You bought the extended warranty, right?" When a 'difficult' Vanagon has a problem, you pull over and dig out your screwdriver and crescent wrench and fix it..or find a mechanic who actually remembers what a toolbox is. Don Hanson