Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:28:06 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Nominations are now open: Top 10 Ugliest Parts to Fail
Comments: To: Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>

Here's one that gets pretty ugly - when the front suspension strut rod rubber bushings are badly worn out for a long time, and eventually the strut rod starts eating away at the bushing hole in the body, and then the rod gets all trashed too, where the threaded portion is. Body, strut rod, and bushings are all just trashed. Then on top of that, you find that ( on early vans with stamped lower control arms ) that the strut rod is permanently bonded to the lower control arm via severe rust. That's a pretty ugly failure. Quite preventable too.

Possibly no one mentioned plastic main coolant pipes where the metal insert starts sliding out of place, and you get a nice leak there, and the 'real repair' is a new plastic main coolant pipe. That's kinda ugly and bothersome to have to deal with, unless you can make a good repair in place.

I also find that the way the small green o-rings at the top of the piston barrels...... how easily they get hard, dark-colored and deteriorated - that's a bit ugly to me too.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Todd" <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 9:27 PM Subject: Re: Nominations are now open: Top 10 Ugliest Parts to Fail