Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:20:23 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagons and part
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I would also say that generally, vanagons are pretty fixable. I do think fuel injection and 'engine running right' can get rather tricky at times, for shops and owners. But never impossible - just challenging. I find I might have to test or check 30 separate things sometimes on a fuel injection or running problem. Or more.

mechanically - as cars and vans go, vanagons are about as sweet to work on as you can get. I can think of one, possibly two things in the whole van that are unreasonably difficult to deal with - the very worst one, is adjusting the clutch master cylinder push rod length, up under the dash. That adjustment is a real bear, and I wish the engineers would be there, and bust their knuckles dealing with it. A real PIA. Fortunately, that adjustment almost never needs to be messed with. Changing the pedal assembly - bit of a bother, but nothing impossible, and you almost never have to anyway.

but the rest of it - engine , suspension, dash.........all of that is very nice to get at. Especially the dash and instrument cluster- vanagons are about 10 times easier to work on in the dash and instrument area than most cars. Syncro's have their own challenges of course, but 2WD vanagons..... there is hardly part that isn't pretty fundamentally reliable in the first place, and most of them are real easy to work on.

granted, removing the gas tank isn't a fun job, but on most cars, dealing with the fuel tank is just not fun or easy anyway. but overall..........really ............they are very nice to work on, as cars and vans go.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:23 AM Subject: Re: Vanagons and part