Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:46:03 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagons and part
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

re "But the major difficulty other than that is that there were never enough of them here for the average wrench or even the average dealership to ever get solid experience dealing with them, so we really do have to become our own experts."

we must live in different countries or something ..... cause vanagons are *ALL OVER THE PLACE* ...... at least in the West. I'm serious, I know of hundreds and hundreds of vanagons personally. ( and interestingly, there are all slightly different from each other, in trim, colors, and equipment. I have barely ever seen two identical vanagons. ) I have a dozen of them within 60 feet of where I am sitting. I'm sure there are at least 200 locally, just within a 70 mile radius, possibly even more than that. Very, very common vehcile I think. There's tons of life and enjoyment left in them, but then, I am a presever of things - a healer, and it's fun and easy to keep them happy, or make tired vanagons happy again. It's redicuously easy sometimes. They just take care and understanding is all. They are not like say, 1982 toyota pick up trucks that won't die no matter what you do or don't do to them. They do require care and understanding ..........but it's not really that hard to do.

I feel sorry for the poor vans and cars. Servicing and maintaining cars is NOT hard !! The trick...... the Big Trick - is getting someone to do it. The owner first of course .............getting them to realize that say ..........servicing the CV joints and changing the transmission oil would be a great ( and cost effective and money-saving ) thing to do. That's the first 'hard thing' - the operator of the vehcile interested in doing something like that. The actual work isn't that hard really. The next 'hard part' ........is getting someone who actually cares, and wants to give you good value for your hard earned dollar, to do the work, and to do it well, at a fair price. That is the really hard part. It's not hard to find shopst that want to throw a ton of money into any repair. That's easy. But find a shop that is concerned about what it might cost you..........or is concerned about advising you the best way to spend your money on the van - where to put the money where it will do the most good - that's not so easy to find. And .......workmanship ...........finding a shop that does perfect workmanship ........based on what I see on vanagons - that's kinda a rare thing too sometimes, it would appear.

But the actual DOING ...........that's easy. It's getting the humans involved, to do it in the first place, then to do it for reasonable cost, and to do it with good workmanship and attention to detail - that's what's hard. Most service and maintanece is really quite easy to do. it's boringly easy to do almost. It's getting it done that is hard, making it happen in the first place. Like who wants to bother with rotating tires or inspecting brake pads ...........right ? But it's not hard to do, not a all. And these vans are well worth investing our love and energy in. I consider it even, a 'last stand' ......... almost the last stand we get to make having cars that we actually have a lot of control over, and can work on ourselves. With things like cash for clunkers ............our vans become more precious and valuable by the day, and there is good life left in them yet for sure !

And isn't it sweet that gas prices didn't shoot up to 4 bucks a gallon this summer ! Did quite well there, keeping the price within reason, relatively speaking.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 9:36 AM Subject: Re: Vanagons and part