Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 2009 14:24:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: alignment
Comments: To: Trooz <trooz@ROADRUNNER.COM>

If we wanted to be really fussy about weight and alignment, we'd put a sack of concrete or something in the driver's seat , since the van never drives without the weight of a driver in the driver's seat - like if you set castor say, without a driver on board, when someone sits in the driver's seat, the caster might be slightly different with the weight onboard. .

As long as it weighs like you drive it pretty much, when you have it aligned, you'll be all right. The alignment specs would be the same, whether westy or passenger van, or 800 lbs sitting on the rear floor - you just need to align it with what weight it is going to run with. And ......driver's weight of say, 160 lbs, makes the left front lower by , just guessing, 1/4 to 1/2 inch .... and that would affect front alignment a little, you'd think. Yet, no cars are aligned with any weight substituted for the driver's weight that I've even seen - but sometimes I do, doing my own alignments.

The rear alignment is adjustable as well, Not commonly done, but there is 'rear alignment' on a vanagon for sure, besides just the front. Scott www.turbovans.com