Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:02:58 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon difficulty
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

At 07:49 PM 9/2/2009, Dave Mcneely wrote: >The are unreliable. Given their age, that is expected, but they NEVER >were as reliable as Japanese vehicles, which in my experience seldom >need repair.

Agree hugely.

>People who can (or are willing) to work on them are rare, especially in >the middle of the country. General shops can handle most vehicles. >Take a vanagon to one, and if the shop accepts it, the repair will >likely be done wrong.

Agree.

>Diagnosis seems more difficult than with other vehicles, even for >knowledgeable techs.

Hmmm...I don't really think so, but I can't prove it. Anyone who knows how to deal with L-Jetronic should be able to get pretty far with the ECU/fi system, for example, as long as they realize that's what Digijet basically is. Digifant is more different but still uses all the same sensors etc. I think the unfamiliar layout may be an issue for some people, and I don't think there are that many good general-purpose diagnosticians around period. By that I mean people who are good at thinking/working through a system logically, not just relying on a bunch of saved-up experience of "if this problem, likely that solution." I could be wrong about that, but it has been my impression.

>Parts are hard to get and inordinately expensive.

I don't think the expense is really inordinate, especially given the cost of keeping low-volume parts in inventory. In the last year both NAPA and Advance have cut out a lot of Vanagon parts, obviously because they're losing money on them. The coolant hoses are a b*tch partly because there are so many of them. There's also some intrinsic expense because keeping major related components at opposite ends of the vehicle, which hurts but I can't really call it inordinate.

Access is likely a problem for the random population, but I don't think it's too bad for internet and especially for list people.

>A NON-difficult vehicle is one that seldom breaks, and when it does, can >be easily repaired at a wide variety of shops at reasonable cost. >That's not a vanagon.

Totally agree.

>'91 Vanagon GL Campmobile, which I love for its utility in camping and >cross country travel, but fear will leave me stranded far from home or >help.

I've never had much fear about it. In a way it's like my Saap 96 was -- hardly ever totally right (for one thing, the engine went out of tune in what seemed like five minutes), but unlikely to leave you totally flat in a way that can't be limped home or cobbled up beside the road. Now that does presuppose being both able and equipped to work on it to some extent. My new beast has too little road clearance for me to actually crawl underneath it, for example, which limits things to some extent.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"