Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Sep 2009 00:38:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: the case of the curious blinking LED
Comments: To: Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@GMAIL.COM>

If I read this right ....... you turn the key on to energize the glow plugs, and naturally, turning the key on makes the temp gauge LED flash a few times to tell you it's working. Then you turn the key to 'start' , it fires up, and the LED flashes again. I kinda wonder if that's normal even.

I just tested my 83 sunroof diesel vanagon ( for sale btw ). When I turn on the key, while glow plugging ..........the LED flashes quickly and continuously. When I fire it up after waiting half a minute, the LED goes out as the engine fires up. It has the single 3 contact, fan switch , the later style radiator etc.

I'm thinking you don't really have a problem. As long as it comes on at first to tell you it's working , then goes out after firing up the engine , I don't see a problem.

The LED is not run by or connected with the radiator fan switch. Unrelated. - if that's what you're thinking. Your next post mentions the rad fan sensor too.

That LED can blink too easily sometimes - it can be set off by voltage changes affecting the instrument cluster. My first vanagon - 82 GL Diesel - liked to set off that light when I put on the high beams. I'd be driving along on low beams, put on high beams, and the light would start flashing. Going back to low beams briefly would get it to not do that, or some trick with the lights.

if you want to check things, I'd suggest checking the voltage stabilizer on the back of the instrument cluster, and always ... those grounds on the left , above the fuse box, there's a bunch of ground wires there with push-on connectors, and they suffer from age and heat, and get weak, and don't make very good contact anymore. I convert any I find like that to and eye wire terminal with sheet metal screw.

Ignition switches are always suspect. I had a case of 'no headlights' on an 86 Doka . The only headlights that will work are high beams if you hold the stalk pulled towards you. That turned out to be a bad ignition switch, and not the light switch or anything else.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Felder" <dieseldoofus@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 5:11 PM Subject: the case of the curious blinking LED