Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:41:11 -0600
From:         Warren Lail <wklail@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon difficulty (long, please forgive)

I have been driving Vanagons since 1989 (and bays and splitties way before that). I started with a 1981 air-cooled Westy (called Base Camp) that I maintained religiously. It dropped a valve seat in Moab, Utah, and thankfully Tom Arnold (now deceased) of Tom-Tom's Volkswagen Museum (junk yard) helped me replace the head. I later replaced the engine with one from AVP and had great luck with the engine, although I had other problems (mostly electronic) until the day I sold it in 2002. Of course, it produced almost no heat in winter and had very limited power (I used to have a bumper sticker that read "65 Horsepower, Please Just Pass.") I drove it from Oklahoma to Boulder, Colorado one very cold winter day and the temperature inside the van never rose above 40 degrees F. Not fun.

I then purchased a 1987 GL (named Long John) automatic that I really liked. First of all, it had heat! For the first time in my life I was in a Volkswagen bus/van and it was actually warm right in the middle of winter. However, the tranny never stopped leaking and I blew a head gasket near Westcliff, Colorado, sort of the middle of nowhere (but beautiful nowhere). Had it towed to Pueblo and a local mechanic replaced the head gasket at a very reasonable price. I loved it, but it suffered from Vanagon syndrome the entire time I owned it and it was always on the verge of overheating.

Then I bought an 88 Westy (Billy Bones) from its original owner. It had issues, but I spent a lot of time and money on it and got it looking really good. Then then engine blew in middle Tennessee, which was about 700 miles from home. Luckily I had relatives who lived nearby and so I borrowed a car to get home. A really good friend (best man at my wedding) then drove all the way out to retrieve the dead Vanagon. I ordered a new engine from AVP, got it running good, installed a new radiator and coolant pipes, but it continued to suffer from Vanagon syndrome from time to time. I installed a "pigtail" (which I still have and will sell for $50) and it helped a lot. Gas mileage never got out of the teens except on one really long trip (Oklahoma City to Myrtle Beach, SC) where I averaged 20 mpg. Power was poor; In a strong headwind or a steep incline I would be slowed to 45 mph. Frustrating.

These three Vanagons brought me great pleasure. I have driven from coast to coast a number of times, love the utility, love the looks and handling (sometimes). But I was at my wits end with regards to reliability. If it were not for this list and the fine people on it and the wonderful wisdom and advice I received here, I would have probably stopped driving Vanagons a long time ago and reverted to an early Bay with a 1600 upright engine (which I still want to own as a "Townie Bus.")

In 2005 I purchased a 138 hp Subaru 2.2 engine and wiring harness from a junk yard in Albuquerque. I ran it for about half an hour before we pulled it to make sure it ran okay, checked compression, etc., pull the engine and I took it home. I then put it on an engine stand, installed new head gaskets, idler pulleys, timing belt, cam and crank seals, etc., and as finances allowed, ordered the conversion parts. Tom Shiels did my wiring harness (the most difficult part of a conversion). When I had everything ready to go, I took 10 days off from work to do the switch. After 7 (long) days, the Subie engine roared to life.

That was in April of 2006. I have driven more than 75,000 miles since that time. I change the oil and filter regularly, and I change the spark plugs every 30,000 miles or so. Other than those items of routine maintenance, I have done nothing other than drive ole Billy Bones as I please. Now I have the great utility of my beloved Vanagon, the reliability of a Japanese engine, I have much more power (cruising at 80 is easy), and my gas mileage has improved (pretty consistently 22 mpg on the highway). I drive Billy Bones as my daily driver and my commute is 140 miles per day (I carpool with a colleague so I only drive to work every other week). The Subaru engine now has about 165,000 total miles on it and so I'm thinking ahead, planning on replacing it when the time comes with a Subaru 2.5 engine (170 hp).

Bottom line. In my personal experience, I have never owned a type of vehicle that simultaneously delivered so much pleasure and pain as the Vanagon. The switch to a Subie engine changed everything. Now the pain is gone - I am in Vanagon Nirvana every day. These are remarkable vehicles that we drive and I was reluctant at first to switch the engine (wanted to "keep it German"). As I reflect on the whole experience of Vanagon ownership, it was the best thing I ever did.

I paid $675 for the engine, $700 to get the harness modified, and about $2,200 on conversion and other parts (a new muffler and clutch because I wanted to replace them while I was in there). Total price by doing it myself, approximately $3500. I wish to give lots credit to another list and to all of its fine members who gave me tons of good advice, the SubaruVanagon group over at yahoo.

A conversion may not be right for you for any number of reasons, including time, money, or loyalty to the 2.1 engine. If not, the 2.1 engine in the hands of a good, knowledgeable technician (like those nice guys who are generous with their time and advice on this list) will serve you well for a long time.

Your mileage may vary; other engine conversions are also popular and reported to be reliable, etc. The bottom line; if you want to keep your Vanagon running (happily) for a long time, there are a number of ways to accomplish it; it's not a one-size-fits-all world.

Warren in Santa Fe 88 Westy "Billy Bones" Subie 2.2