Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:29:45 -0400
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon difficulty
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com>

So, the replies that attempt to refute my statements are from mechanics (or really accomplished diy types, but many are pros). Others are from folks who realize the difficult nature of the vehicle, but are willing to accept that for the reasons I cited earlier (and which were my reasons for wanting one.

My thoughts when I bought the van were that I was finally getting the VW camper that I'd dreamed of many years ago, but that the vicissitudes of life kept me away from. During that time, I learned that vehicles don't have to require constant intervention to keep them going, because thanks to the Japanese (and emulated by American makers) they are no longer made that way and haven't been for years. Regular preventative maintenance takes care of it. The only vehicle I've had since 1976 that I did not drive at least 200k miles (several closer to 300k) is my wife's current Honda, which has 198k on the odometer. Honda's and Toyota's don't break, and they sure don't break in the creative ways that vanagons do.

the statements from mechanics, though intended by their authors to refute my position, in fact, reinforce it, because they describe the necessity of being personally knowledgeable of mechanical details for this particular vehicle that the average knowledgeable driver hasn't time to learn. they also describe the necessity of devoting oneself to the vehicle, rather than to its use. I don't have a lift at home, and certainly don't carry one with me camping. I don't own the "average" set of tools that one poster referred to ( and that costs thousands of dollars to acquire, though many never realize what they have spent as they do it incrementally). I do own what the average homeowner and car owner has.

What I want is to know that every time I get in the vehicle, to drive 50 or 5000 miles, I can rely on it getting the job done without having to worry or more particularly without having to be broken down in Big Tittie, Nevada. Sure, AAA will come and haul my van, but I didn't go touring and camping to spend time on that. And if I'm way back on Stink Creek, I'll have to get a ranger or someone (when one shows up, if ever) to get me out to where cell phone service works before I can even call.

When I was readying to make the recent 5000 mile trip from here to Spokane and back, wandering on the return, David Hesse of Bavarian Autohaus in Norman, OK (good guy, worth knowing) advised me to get a list of shops along my planned route, and be prepared to use them. I did as he advised. I was glad I did -- I needed them. But if the needs had arisen at different locations along the way, I'd have been stuck. And, needing shops restricts the wandering a fair bit.

I'm not a mechanic. I change oil, sometimes plugs, such simple things. To troubleshoot as you guys do is an ability developed from years of devotion to mechanical work. I have too many other interests and responsibilities to do that -- I have not spent an idle life, and despite the tone that comes through from some posts, not being an expert mechanic is neither due to laziness nor stupidity, nor is one less than a worthwhile person who lacks that expertise. If one of you guys needs expertise in some field other than mechanics, you expect to be able to find it, without too much difficulty, if willing to pay. I can't do that for a mechanic for my van.

You are right, I don't love these vehicles enough to devote my life to becoming a vanagon mechanic. that seems to be what is required.

So far as the vehicle being worth $15k as one poster claimed: Mine is extremely "clean," as good mechanically as any, chassis with 145k miles, 2.1 engine with 28k miles. I overpaid for it in April, as Kelly and other values place it, in excellent condition, below what I paid (but I wanted it and it probably is better than average), and nearly $10k below the quoted $15k. I've spent about $9k on repairs, minor body work for dings, tires, and minor upgrades to make camping nicer (example, mosquito screen for the slider, which I installed). When I transferred the title to Oklahoma, I was taxed on the basis of a value of $5k (a value derived from average retail sales, but I paid more), not $15k. Methinks the $15k might be more realistic for the completely restored vehicles that appear on the west coast, after they've accumulated some grime and use on the restoration, but while they still have that "new" sheen.

I'll say no more on this subject, as obviously those who consider their vanagons to be a means of keeping themselves busy repairing them for the sheer joy of it know more about my needs than I do.

David McNeely