Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:37:47 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon difficulty

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Dave Mcneely<mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > David Beierl asked what is it about vanagons that makes me consider them > difficult.  Here: > > The are unreliable.  Given their age, that is expected, but they NEVER > were as reliable as Japanese vehicles, which in my experience seldom > need repair. > > People who can (or are willing) to work on them are rare, especially in > the middle of the country.  General shops can handle most vehicles. > Take a vanagon to one, and if the shop accepts it, the repair will > likely be done wrong.

> A NON-difficult vehicle is one that seldom breaks, and when it does, can > be easily repaired at a wide variety of shops at reasonable cost. > That's not a vanagon.

This is written from the POV of owning a 1981 Westy.

In some ways, I agree. Though based upon some assumptions (I've never owned one) IMO, a popular North American 199x van will likely be easier to get parts for and repaired if stuck in the middle of BFE. Especially a Ford/GM/Chrysler. But, one can get stuck anywhere. What if one is camping off of a FS road in their Ford Sportsmobile? AFAIK, AAA won't come get you when stuck out in the sticks. Doesn't matter what you drive then.

As of yet (knocks on wood) I haven't been broken down in the middle of BFE in need of a Vanagon part. At the very least, if it was a non FLAPS part, it would set me back, time-wise. Thankfully though, the world is quite connected these days so I could at least get a part from a well known vendor. And, lists like these can provide alternatives. (over on the Samba, there's a thread about using a Ford fuel pump IIRC) But, depending on the repair needed, (i.e. I'm really loath to drop a motor or tranny w/o proper tools) this might change the scenario. But as per above, that could happen anywhere. IMO it all comes down to being responsible and prepared.

These days, I think any Vanagon owner, or owner want-to-be would be well advised to at least have a basic understand of what various parts do, what they need, where they are, and read up on some of the more common problems that crop up. My guess though, is that for the most part, this normally happens regardless of what "profile" the owner has.

I bet the SMB people know their rides. And likely most RV types too.

As far as "difficulty" goes, I guess this depends on ones POV. I never really planned on "getting into" fixing/upgrading my Westy. At this point it's almost a restoration! With that in mind, I can say that the combination of inherent learning curves, PO's lack of maintenance or incorrect maintenance, the odd crappy aftermarket part (like a rebuilt caliper that leaks, or crappy shoes), it can be really discouraging. I mean I really want to enjoy my Westy, and I do, but *some* DIY repairs/upgrades, take longer than planned. But the upside is that I will know this ride *really* well and for the most part, will have rebuilt it. The goal being to get it to the point that I can take a *long* trip in it w/o as *much* worry about getting stuck in BFE. (but then I worry too much. <grin>)

Though the OP has addressed this somewhat, from my POV at this point in time with a 1981 Westy......

What 28 YO vehicle with high KM's, (especially one with extra systems like the Westy), *wouldn't* provide some or all of these 'difficulties'?

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines