Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:28:25 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon difficulty

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote:

> So, the replies that attempt to refute my statements are from mechanics > (or really accomplished diy types, but many are pros). Others are from > folks who realize the difficult nature of the vehicle, but are willing > to accept that for the reasons I cited earlier (and which were my > reasons for wanting one.

You've received a lot of replies to this and some were from mechanics and highly accomplished DIY types. I think you'll find plenty of other types as well. I personally am not a mechanic nor a highly accomplished DIY type. I have also been driving Vanagons for only 10 or 11 years. In that time I have been stranded maybe 3 times - two times were simple little easy to fix issues - the last was an engine melt down - and that in a long round about way spawned this topic. However, I also think these van's are simple enough to work on that I am preparing and engine install myself. I don't see myself doing that with many other vehicles - and certainly nothing new. As for other newer cars I've owned - they have all failed in one way or another leaving me stranded - I will admit none of them were Japanese.

> > the statements from mechanics, though intended by their authors to > refute my position, in fact, reinforce it, because they describe the > necessity of being personally knowledgeable of mechanical details for > this particular vehicle that the average knowledgeable driver hasn't > time to learn. they also describe the necessity of devoting oneself to > the vehicle, rather than to its use. I don't have a lift at home, and > certainly don't carry one with me camping. I don't own the "average" > set of tools that one poster referred to ( and that costs thousands of > dollars to acquire, though many never realize what they have spent as > they do it incrementally). I do own what the average homeowner and car > owner has.

You and I own the same set of tools - what I have are mashed together hand me downs and less than $100 in new tools. I think I could fix 90% of what I would need to with that. Sure I'm laying in the dirt to do it - but I'm convinced it's possible.

> What I want is to know that every time I get in the vehicle, to drive 50 > or 5000 miles, I can rely on it getting the job done without having to > worry or more particularly without having to be broken down in Big > Tittie, Nevada. Sure, AAA will come and haul my van, but I didn't go > touring and camping to spend time on that. And if I'm way back on Stink > Creek, I'll have to get a ranger or someone (when one shows up, if ever) > to get me out to where cell phone service works before I can even call.

Doesn't everybody?

You are right, I don't love these vehicles enough to devote my life to > becoming a vanagon mechanic. that seems to be what is required. > I love them enough for that but that isn't in the cards for me. However, I disagree that it is required.

I'll say no more on this subject, as obviously those who consider their > vanagons to be a means of keeping themselves busy repairing them for the > sheer joy of it know more about my needs than I do. >

I have been following this thread but will admit I haven't read every post so this is just based on what I have read. I don't know that I have seen anyone saying they know what your needs are. I think most people were replying with what their experience is in regards to your original statement of how difficult the vehicle is. I think others could be a bit perplexed as to exactly what your point of view was - I don't say that to be jerk it's just not clear - I mean do you hate your Vanagon, Love it, Like it but wish it were a little easier?

I also don't think most people find shear joy in fixing their van rather than driving it or camping or whatever they like to do with it. Not even the mechanic types :)

It sounds like you have a nice van and have paid to make it nicer and more dependable for your needs. I think that is pretty cool.

We all have different requirements and ideas and reasons for driving these things. That is the best part of all.

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus