Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:38:20 -0700
From:         Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon difficulty
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <mst@ak.net>

I agree with Mark. I try to keep up on maintenance. This summer, it has become apparent that I will need a new starter. Not right away, but I've been warned.

I also try to save money out of every check just for maintenance. (And we have a lot of cars, more than we need, because when I married I kept my VWs, and my husband had two pickups and a Jaguar). I know that saving money right now is pretty hard to do for many people, but it helps knowing that if I have to pay for repairs it doesn't all go on a credit card. (I guess it helps too that because I have all this old junk to drive then I don't have an actual car payment, though some would argue all the maintenance is like a car payment.)

I am one of those 10-12 hour office dwellers somebody referred to. And I'm a girl, so I didn't get quite as much exposure to mechanical stuff as guys do (although I realize that's a stereotype - many men do not get much exposure to mechanics anymore either). So I typically have to pay - I don't have the time to fix stuff on weekends, although I have here and there, and have found that sometimes the best way to learn is just dive in and do it. I am about to take a look at my 1600 aircooled motor in my 60 doublecab and see if I can clean and adjust the carb myself. I am confident I can do it - might take me a while, and some mistakes, but you learn from those. I also need to do the brakes in the doublecab - never done it before, but now's the time to figure it out.

This list is invaluable. The Bus, as my husband calls it, is not a turnkey type of car, like the standard Honda, toyota, Ford, whatever. I pay attention to sounds; check my fluid levels, keep oil and coolant in the vehicle ,etc. It's old school car maintenance, and I am just old enough to remember that (when I was a kid we had: a Plymouth Superbird, a 1954 Jag XK120M, a Triumph, a Corvair, a Plymouth Barracuda, a dune buggy w/vw motor, a Plymouth GTX, Honda motorcycles when we all thought a 750 was a HUGE motor, etc.). In fact, my 2000 Harley Davidson Dyna still has a carb. I am noticing that I may need a new tranny or at least some type of repair on that - the tranny is getting sticky and stubborn when it heats up - can't even get it in neutral without a lot of futzing around.

I guess I'll find out next year about driving a long ways and hope not to have problems - my mother in law wants to go to South Dakota, where she is from, and she wants to go in the Bus. I'll need to replace that starter and start looking everything over. I will also bring spare parts, as is reasonable, since repair shops in the area (Cal. to SD) are few and far between for any vehicle but especially VWs (and I have tools that I bring along on long trips). Knock on wood, I've wandered all over the West in my 87 Wolfsburg, and the upcoming trip will be in my third owner 87 Syncro. I guess the sense of adventure is part of it - she's been driven to South Dakota in her 2005 Cadillac but somehow I think it's not the same for her, or she wouldn't be asking to be a Bus passenger.

Donna, NorCal