Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:39:59 -0600
From:         miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: fryday .. NVC gmail stuff
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com>

Nice tip. Thanks! Miguel

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Roger Whittaker<rogerwhitt1@gmail.com> wrote: >  Protect your Gmail account by accessing the activity > report<http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/helpdesk/?p=945> > >   - *Date*: August 31st, 2009 >   - *Author*: William Jones >   - *Category*: support<http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/helpdesk/?cat=17> >   - *Tags:* Google > Gmail<http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/Google+Gmail.html>, >   E-mail Providers<http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/E-mail+Providers.html>, >   Cloud Computing<http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/Cloud+Computing.html>, >   Internet <http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/Internet.html>, William >   Jones <http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/William+Jones.html> >   - > >  3 comment(s)<http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/helpdesk/?p=945&tag=nl.e023#comments> > > *Web-based e-mail is convenient, but what happens if you forgot to log out > of a public computer? Gmail users have an easy solution.* > > —————————————————————————————————- > > Last week, I got panicked call from a friend. She had forgotten to log out > of her web e-mail account before leaving the study carrel she was using. My > friend is in graduate school, and the library where she goes to work gets a > lot of traffic. She was appropriately concerned about the security of her > account and asked me if there was anything she could do to close that > session remotely. Luckily, since she’s a Gmail user, I could offer her a > solution. > > Once a user logs in, he or she can find data about the “Last account > activity” at the bottom of every Gmail page below the storage usage stats. > Displayed there will be the last network address that accessed the Gmail > account, or an indication of how long the current session has lasted. There > is also a link labeled “Details.” That link is where we’re headed. > > By clicking on the “Details” link, a Gmail user can see a table of recent > activity in her account. This table will indicate when and from where the > account has been accessed, and will display if there are multiple sessions > active simultaneously. To close every other session except their current > web-based one, a user can click the button labeled “Sign out all other > sessions.” This was what I directed my friend to do. > > The recent activity report can serve as a useful security-auditing tool in > other ways. Examining the data for suspicious network addresses and account > activity can alert a user that the security of her Gmail account has been > breached. More information on how to use the session activity report can be > found on Google’s help > pages<http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=%67mail&answer=45938> > . > > > -- > roger w > From Proverbs: > Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a > servant who becomes king ... > ---------------------------------------------------------- > Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ > View the growing list of video work at: > http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners > and ... older work at > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364 >