Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:12:30 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC (but VW) '95 Cabrio intermittent no start - no spark
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@gmail.com> wrote: > I've posted this, (or similar) on VW Vortex, but received limited > response.  Situation has been around for about 2 years; gradually > getting worse, but still fairly infrequent (maybe once a week, though > sometimes a few times in a day). > > Stop car to run into store, etc.  Come out, cranks, no start.  Walk > away for a while and might start; might not.  Sometimes no start in > morning, but usually when restarting after driving.  Does not, > however, seem to be temperaturre dependant. > > Battery (relatively new) at 12.7V.  When cranking, drops to around > 11.2, so should be more than sufficient for ignition.  When it starts, > it fires up instantly.  Runs well, good power and good fuel economy > (30+ mpg).  Has not failed when driving; just no start. > > I believe this is a key bit of information.  I have connected it to a > battery charger - no change, UNLESS I set the charger to "Start" (60 > amps) at which setting I get instant joy.  I have checked grounds > (probably not all of them) and replaced the (I believe it is called) > ignition module (apparently a coil).  I'm kinda suspecting a weak > contact within the ECU, though we looked at the CB and saw nothing > obvious. > > Stephanie is ready to shoot either me or the car, since it has > stranded her a couple times at lunch so that she has had to walk back > to the office! > > 1995 Cabrio, all stock, 115K miles; 2.0L engine; Standard tranny; AC; > generally good condition. > > Thanks for reading this far, > > Karl Wolz > Phoenix, AZ >

Karl.

Any codes being thrown? If no code reader, depending on OBD interface type, you may be able to use a jumper to read the blink codes.

If you suspect poor contacts somewhere, check the big round connector on engine. (it connects engine portion of harness to rest of harness) Looks like this:

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/28pinConnector.jpg http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/28pinconnector2.jpg

Use good quality electrical contact cleaner. This plug can get fouled with corrosion. (pics show pre cleaned condition) AFAIK, this cleaner can also be used on ECU connections. ( I have done so with no issues)

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines