Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:18:41 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Major Engine Troubles, PiFF, and Good people (kinda long)

As some of you may have read in the last couple of weeks I had a major failure in my coolant system while driving home from work almost two weeks ago. In deep thought and wanting to get home I didn't notice the blinking lights until it was too late. The engine was majorly overheated and after tearing things apart and seeing the damage - well it's pretty well a goner. It could probably be rebuilt and I might see to that in the future.

With Grover being my daily driver this situation has put me in quite a pickle. Not only to figure out how I was going to get back and forth to work, what I was going to do to repair it, but how in the heck I was going to pay for it.

Well, let me tell you in the midst of my panic and stress over this I got an e-mail from Larry Chase. It simply said something like: "I hear you're having trouble and might need some help. Maggie and I would like to offer the help of the Pay it Forward Fund (PiFF)"

It seems an anonyous friend (thanks Pete) had tipped Larry off to my situation. As hard as it is for me to accept this kind of help the e-mail was a major relief because I knew then things would work out.

That being said there were a few other fortunate turns in luck close to home and I am happy to say I will be able to get Grover and implant without the the help of the PiFF.

So what is my point exactly? Well, I just wanted to remind everyone that the fund is out there. If you aren't familiar here is how Larry explains it:

*You may not be familiar with what a PiFF (Pay it Forward Fund) project is.* *Occasionally a member of our Community finds themselves in need of a bit of financial assistance to keep one of our beloved buses on the road.* *These projects are funded by proceeds from VW bus calendar sales, poster sales, used parts sales, campout event fees and donations from the VW community.* *When a need presents itself we first try to handle the need out of existing funds and if there isn't enough in the fund to cover it, to ask for donations. * ** The fund cannot help in every situation of course but in extreme cases. I would engourage everyone if and when you can to send a bit to the fund. You can find it through roadhaus.com and clicking on the Donate button - I have in the past and I will continue to do so when I can. Sure I didn't end up needing the help this time but it's good to know it's there if you ever get in a really tight spot.

I also wanted to take a minute and thank some other people who helped me through this or who offered some help through Larry:

Pete O - You're a good friend Pete thanks

Larry and Maggie - You too are great people and a credit to this community

Benny Boy - Thanks for the great website, your responses to my questions, and your encouraging words.

Hans / Vanaru - Thank you for your generous offer to Larry to help out with my situation

Stan / Boston Engine - Thank you too for your help

Multiple List memebrs - Sorry I don't have all your names right now but many of you replied to me on and off list to offer your experience.

Scott Hengert - You too are a great friend Scotty - thanks.

Tim - Thanks for the loan of your '85 Rerun (a former PiFF bus itself)

OK, now I have a lot of work to do to get my bus back on the road. Thank you all for bearing with this long post but it was important for me to give credit to these fine folks.

**

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus