Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Sep 2009 04:09:00 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      MOD clarification re cursing and language in general
Comments: cc: bent Syncro <syncro@gmail.com>

Dear Volks,

I think I've explained myself poorly on this issue, and I apologize. On a personal level I don't particularly give, if you'll pardon the expression, a rat's behind whether someone else curses, whether they intend it or not or even if they're cursing me. It's none of my business and I have plenty to do watching what I myself do. However, it is a serious matter to both Christians and Jews, and many of them don't have my laissez-faire attitude and find it deeply disturbing/distressing. Some of those people are on this list, and some of them have expressed their gratitude about this stance. It's not civil to disturb people unnecessarily, and that's that.

People, particularly people of different generations, have many different attitudes about coarse language in general, and we neither can nor will try to change them here. We have at least four generations on this list, and both extremes have to bend, but not enough to truly satisfy either one. I personally wouldn't mind shifting the balance a bit toward the older folks (forgive the generalization, I know that all attitudes exist in all generations), but I have no intention, nor do I think Ben has any, of trying to do that. As people more and more bring their concerns to the moderators, instead of either remaining silent or airing them in public, the balance will adjust itself to the list instead of the list to the balance. As people learn to trust more and more that we are, as I believe, fair and disinterested (not *un* interested) this will continue to happen more and more readily, and we will become less and less visible.

Most of what we've talked about language today has to do with children. This list has always made special accommodation for children, but it has gotten a bit muddied recently, so we're working to put it back in shape.

Thank you all very much. I don't expect to be around much tomorrow (today actually), or the next day so I apologize in advance if I'm tardy in responding to you.

Yours, David ps -- There has been a bit of confusion, so to be clear: the "damn" thread isn't closed, although I don't particularly encourage it going further. It is only the part wishing to discuss the merits or lack thereof of religion that is closed.