Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Sep 2009 21:35:31 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Update: Only 13V from Alternator

This morning in Grants, NM, when I started the engine, the alternator and oxygen sensor lights were on until I revved the engine slightly. Then both lights went out.

It hasn't done that before, and it worried me, but I needed to cover 600 miles today, so I figured I'd go ahead and drive it unless the alternator light comes on. The starter battery together with the deep cycle battery seem to have enough juice, along with whatever the anemic alternator is putting out, to run the van for quite a long time.

I phoned a friend who made a few calls to FLAPS on my route and found me a cheap alternator at an AutoZone in Flagstaff. I stopped to pick it up and threw it in the back of the van, just so I wouldn't be stuck in some tiny Arizona town waiting for parts through the long holiday weekend.

All went well, and I'm now in the quirky Shady Lane RV Park in Barstow. Tomorrow, I'm planning to drive another 400 miles to Napa, where I can work on the van in the driveway of one or another of my family.

Thanks to all on this list for the education I've received over the past couple of days. You helped give me the confidence to stay on the road despite this small problem.

I'm really pleased with the mileage I've been getting at the high elevations (once I slowed down to 65 mph):

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/sbw/vanagon

When I crossed into California today, I noticed two things: Gas is almost $1 higher per gallon, and the wildfires created a really nice sunset:

http://mira.sbw.org/photos/20090905/SN851977/