Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Sep 2009 08:25:26 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: M re: "damn"
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>

> So when i speak or write in English i look for something similar to > intensify the sentence. But i have learn that in many case it's not > acceptable. It's pretty funny that in all movie the F word is use with > so many variant.... It's like you have found a place to use it legally.

"Intensify" is a good word choice. Peppering one's speech with swear words does add emphasis, feeling, and indeed, intensity. Overuse becomes tedious. One strong swear word used in the right place, at the right time, can be very dramatic. A creative string of swear words, when expressed with conviction to express deep feeling or elicit laughter can be a work of art.

It is true that swear words can be found in films and music frequently. They tend to appear more rarely in "polite" conversation, and it is seldom considered appropriate to use such words in conversation with or around children, although each family sets its own rules for internal use.

The movie ratings system used in this country is intended, among other things, to keep children from hearing such words or seeing things the current community standards on the average do not deem appropriate. I can also provide useful information to adults to help them avoid such films if they are offended or made uncomfortable by things that other adults are not bothered by, or may even actively seek out.

I reckon that this list is meant to be "G" rated, as in for a general audience, because there are no ticket takers or ushers keeping the kids out, and because any list of 800 people is bound to reach a number of adults here who find swear language or certain topics inappropriate, coarse, and offensive. I feel that if one chooses to offend others, it should be done with deliberation and full awareness of one's motives, and never done lightly.

Awareness of boundaries and self-censoring are adult attributes, and good a writer can always get their point across without being obnoxious.

Me, I take great pleasure hearing or reading well-crafted usage of shockingly foul language. But when writing to this list I know that 800 pairs of eyes might be reading my words, and I only know a few of these people. I have no idea who they are, what ages they are, their upbringings, what they consider appropriate words, so I try to remember this before pitching in an intensification word. It doesn't always work -- the boundaries are not clear-cut, but I do what I can.

I endeavor to keep my word usage acceptable for 98% of the readers I have pictured in my head. Of the remaining two percent -- the easily angered, the condemning, the smut-seekers, those who find salacious images in Disney cartoons -- well, like mildew, they are hopeless and will always be with us.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano Bend, OR KG6RCR