Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Sep 2009 14:29:25 -0400
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Minimal vanagon support kit
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

Wow, look at all the stuff some of you guys find necessary to carry to make sure your vanagons get you wherever and back!

GoWesty has another idea, of course. Spend 40 or 50k with them to make a vanagon equivalent to new (or better, they claim).

Not difficult vehicles? Reliable?

Sure, they're old. And they're difficult. But, oh well. So am I.

Dave Mc

Oh, my van is a '91 Vanagon GL Campmobile.

Oh, I guess what I need is a list of all the do-overs that I need to do to make sure my vanagon mechanical systems are all sound. Let's see --

I've got a nearly new rebuilt engine (22k miles. chassis has 145k miles). Transmission drained and refilled (manual transmission). I've redone all the ignition parts -- plugs, points, rotor, cap, wires. New air filter. New fuel injection lines (they were part of the engine rebuild). New fuel filter and new fuel lines from tank to filter and filter on. New fuel pump. New AFM. five New heavy duty tires, Kumho 857s: 195R14C. More than meet specs for weight capacity (load level D, spec is for C), 8 ply rating. tires come with lifetime rotate and balance, including spare. I'm a nut about keeping this up on all my vehicles. Van drives well with these tires. Run these at 53 psi rear, 43 psi front per VW spec. Tire spec allows up to 65 psi, which I will go with if I think I may be carrying the maximum weight. Brakes inspected, fluid flushed and refilled, and good to go. Alignment (but, was unaware that one needs (according to some of you guys) to load the vehicle before doing the alignment, do the alignment, drive it, do the alignment again). Wow. Of course, that's not DIFFICULT. Fortunately, mine drives with the steering wheel dead on center, and will track absolutely on a straight, level road, whether loaded or not. Good enough? It is considered so on most vehicles. New cv joints. New ball joints, upper and lower. Shocks check as excellent (fairly new). No steering play, no vibration or bounce. Wheel bearings good, newly greased. New radiator, new radiator temperature switch. Complete flush. New phosphate free coolant with distilled water (the expensive VW stuff, probably not necessary, but ............ ). New temperature sender. Fan motor hot post repaired where broken during radiator replacement. New coolant distribution manifold (the one that reportedly fails catastrophically. Mine broke during another repair, so not so catastrophic). Plan to redo all coolant hoses, and plastic pipe ends, pending new funds. New water pump (twice, due to failure of first new one). New thermostat. New oil pump (not needed, mistake). New motor mounts. New drive belts. Oil pressure monitoring system redone, including new sensors, new wire to gauge and instrument cluster. Idiot light and gauge both working properly (gauge reads about 5 lbs lower than actual according to independent mechanical check). BTW, pressure senders set up on a single tube (with a T) from the engine case for both high and low pressure, eliminating the difficult to access high pressure sender location. Senders and tube secured with a bracket to engine case to minimize vibration. Currently running Valvoline 50W due to extreme summer temps in some areas I've been driving. Will change to multi-vis (15W-50 if I can get it, otherwise 20W-50 Castrol) next month or so with cooler weather. If I decide to drive during winter, and can't get the 15W-50, I may go with 10W-40, or with 30W. Clutch engages and disengages well. No idea when it was redone, if ever. Evidently not with engine replacement, as paperwork does not reflect it. New wiper blades and rear hatch struts. Very slight leak from oil cooler, will replace o-ring at next oil change (not leaking enough to spot under the vehicle, and not enough to require adding oil between changes). I carry spare fuses and bulbs, and spare drive belts. Guess I'll get some of that "Rescue Tape."

I keep my AAA card and cell phone handy.

What have I missed?

Dave Mc