Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:03:12 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon difficulty
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

> . ) . > > also ..........I don't know everything at all about ecu's in cars. > but I do know one thing from reading trade magazines.............comparing > the ECU that's in our vanagons, with those in year 2000 something cars. > If you go buy a new computer for a very new type car - it's not ready to > operate the engine the way it comes out of the box. > It has to be flashed by a dealer, or someone with the right equipment. > Our ecu's of course, are 'complete' the way they are - no flashing or > reprogramming. How nice. > > from what I read, it's not even that uncommon for modern cars to need to be > reflahsed or reprogrammed by car dealers to get them to work right. > On some .......it's even a standard update kind of thing, as fixes for > glitches get developed. by the manufacturer/ > Thank goodness our vanagons have nothing like that in them ! > >

Don't know if it would work on a Vanagon's ECU, but another German make of the same era as our vanagons, one of the 'fixes' for a problem with the ECU is to disconnect the power and let it "Re-boot"..It seems like the ones in Vanagons and Jettas are not breaking down as often as the ones in those fancy sporty cars...Thank goodness, because a replacment ECU on my 928 GT was around $3000. I got a spare for my Jetta motor for $60, used but tested, and I carry it under my bed in the van. Might be worth a shot, should one encounter a glitch with the VW ECU to just disconnect the battery for a bit.