Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Sep 2009 19:42:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: the case of the curious blinking LED
Comments: To: Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@gmail.com>

Hi, You should be able to get the radiator fan to come on .... that is IF you have a properly working nice warm thermostat. It should run around 180 F normally- and I think you said it does. Cooler is not better btw .......if it's running at 160 F ........that is not right. Around 180, and even 195 in winter is about right.

Assuming it runs at about 180 F ........just let it idle. It might take a long, long time with a diesel... but eventurally, the temp will creep up .......and the fan should kick on. I like to let them cycle on and off a few times, then you know for sure the fan, radiator, thermostat, and cooling system are all working right.

I think you said you jumpered the sender contacts and the radiator fan runs like it should, right ? And now that you have a single, 3 terminal rad fan sender ( I just like 'sender' over 'sensor' personally ) ......two terminals jumpered should give one speed, and two other ones should make it run at a high speed. The middle pin, or terminal is not the one that's in common - one of the end pins is. You jumper the wires that plug onto the sender of course. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: Alan Felder To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:32 PM Subject: Re: the case of the curious blinking LED

Thanks Scott and David - I'm going to check out the starter switch and connections around it. As part of this combination of jobs I also removed the last vestages of the Eberspacher wiring harness, so I was in that area and could have pulled something loose a bit. I am not as worried about it at the moment because the temp now is steady and correct. I recently checked the voltage stabilizer and it was ok, around 10.1 I think. I tested the fuel guage during this whole debacle but should have tested the temp guage too. I almost wish it would overheat so I could see if the fan kicks in.