Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Sep 2009 07:44:50 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Pulled out my stock fridge - now my faucet doesn't work...??

At 12:35 PM 9/7/2009, Karl wrote: >I get a good chuckle every time GoWesty's 'fridge eliminator kit' is >mentioned ... moving the fridge to another spot has merely moved the >space it used before. One could argue that a storage box placed >instead of the new fridge would be far cheaper and just as useful.

Heh. I don't disagree. But here's my reasoning:

My Engel fridge works better than the stock fridge. And because it's top-opening, like a cooler, the cold air doesn't flow out every time I open it. (And I can quickly carry it inside and plug it in when I'm not on the road.)

A top-opening fridge won't work in the original fridge cabinet.

At the same time, a front-opening cabinet is better for storage than a top-opening storage box.

So, yes, "moving" the fridge didn't gain any space. But it made the space more useful and gave me a better fridge. I'm happy with that.

As for GoWesty's kit: Yes, it's expensive and doesn't provide much beyond some detailed instructions and a few parts that I could have fabricated myself, if I had time. But it was exactly what I needed, as I was rushing to learn about my first Westy, get everything stowed, and get on the road.

A crowd-sourced version on a wiki somewhere would be a good alternative, but I expect GoWesty will continue to find willing buyers for a packaged kit.