Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:15:04 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Failure Warning Light

Warning light failures: Those seem to consume a great deal of time and energy. Many vehicle warning light indications are from system failure of the warning system itself, not what it is supposed to be warning about. How many times do we hear questions about or problems with warning lights? A lot.

With newer vehicles you often need to pay a 'dealer fee' to plug into their diagnostic terminal to find out you have nothing wrong. In older vehicles, a significant % of the warning light indications we get have no basis in actual reality other than a malfunction of that warning light system or it's various sensors or circuits. Some vehicles are so "touchy" that the vehicle won't even operate until you 'disarm' the warning..the CEL.. Dunno whether this is good technology or not. I guess if you always drive a newish vehicle that is under warrantee, you just believe and frequent your dealership as indicated.. Hopefully, Dave felt the brake pedal go to the floor and didn't need that warning light to tell him he had no brakes....or that his brake warning light was broken.. Don Hanson