Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:38:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Grover's recovery thus far
Comments: To: "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM>

Let's see who can come up with the rattiest looking, totally wasted, "were-'done'-five-years ago" waterboxer outer rubber gaskets. I've got some real doozies. The ones in the picture look quite 'normal' to me. They get a lot worse than that, like all crusty with white stuff, swollen, AND split.

If AMC heads ..........be careful. I just had another whole go around with AMC heads and this rubber water gasket- about how much compression the heads exert on the rubber gasket. Mostly it seems to me that AMC heads squeeze on the rubber gasket too much, and tend to cause it to split apart.

Install the ready to use good head onto the block, with metal rings in place, but without the rubber gasket - and measure that gap. ( whether VW heads or AMC heads ). By my most recent calculations .140 inches is ideal there. I've found AMC heads as much as .008 inches 'too tight' there, which can cause the rubber gasket to start to split in just a short while. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:04 PM Subject: Re: Grover's recovery thus far