Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:53:57 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      need help identifying cause of noise

Hi folks:

I have been hearing a scraping, clunking sound, from the rear end (passenger side) on my 89 westy vanagon. I thought the noise was related to CV joints, so ordered two new half axles. The mechanic working on the van told me the CV joints were in good shape, but did find one of the CV bolts loose, and thought that the speed sensor (Subaru conversion) was scraping against the axle on turns. It turned out that was not the problem. I had recently done my brakes (about three months ago at least) and thought something inside the drum may be scraping, but all of the springs are brand-new, shoes, and drum itself. The shoes are firmly attached to the backing plate, everything looks fine to me. Now, the mechanic is thinking it may be wheel bearings. So, for anyone who's had wheel bearings go out, what kind of a sound do they make? They cannot get the vehicle to make noise unless it is under load, i,e. up on the rack it sounds fine. It certainly makes sense to me that a bearing would probably only complaint under load. How much of a job is it to replace these, and can one side only be done? I assume the bearings are pressed in?

So, anyone care to take a stab at what the sound may be? It does occur on acceleration and deceleration and increases in frequency with tire rotation. It seems to get worse braking, but I may be imagining that. It would take a lot more testing to confirm.

Troy