Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:08:42 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: flashing LED

In a message dated 09/09/2009 12:03:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Sorry folks but I just have to chime in on this highly incorrect statement. I bleed these waterboxer systems here on a daily basis and no jacking or incline is necessary. USE the force of the waterpump ! It's so easy it's makes my head spin to read all these convoluted ways to get the air out. First and foremost the 2.1 systems are self bleeding, that's the reason for that coolant tube going around the perimeter of the engine bay. It siphons off air, sends it over to the expansion tank, then when the system exceeds the 13 lbs that cap is set for, the air is released to the overflow tank and it goes out to the atmosphere where it belongs ! Now how to bleed the waterboxer systems both 1.9 and 2.1. Here we go again and I say again as I'm sure I wrote this before. Open the two bleeders on the top of the radiator and on the top of the thermostat housing, fill the system through the expansion tank, start the engine and let idle, fill the system as much as you can at idle, fill the overflow tank to the MAX mark, set the engine to run at 2000 ~ 3000 rpm, continue filling the system until full, check the bleeder at the radiator to see when only fluid is coming out, close this bleeder, fill the expansion tank and replace the cap, lower the rpm to idle, check that no fluid is coming out of the expansion cap nipple, if so the cap is defective and should be replaced now, if good connect the hose to the overflow tank, let run for 15 to 30 minutes at idle to check that the rad fan is cycling off and on, shut down, close the bleeder on the thermostat housing, let cool overnight, any air left in the system will now have been transferred to the overflow tank and you can refill it to it MAX level, job completed.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://frankcondelli.com/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://frankcondelli.com/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://www.busfusion.com/) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 11 ~ 14, 2009