Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:29:22 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 9 Sep 2009 to 10 Sep 2009 - Special issue
              (#2009-765)

> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:12:21 EDT > From: Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM> > Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Sensor/Pump? > > In a message dated 09/09/2009 12:03:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > Oil pressure is due to the crank and cam bearing clearances. Oil > pumps produce volume not pressure ! >

Sorry Frank, I understand what you're trying to say, but this is simply inaccurate. ALL of the pressure in the system is created by the oil pump (well, ignoring thermal expansion and partial pressures). That's akin to say a Dam creates water pressure. At any given RPM, it will pump "x" volume against "y" head (i.e. backpressure), where the system provides *resistance* to flow, and the pump produces the flow, and therefore pressure. So the volume of oil the pump moves through the system is a function of RPM and resistance to flow (i.e. bearing clearances and other frictional losses), and as bearings wear, the oil volume actually increases significantly. On first blush, this sounds like a GOOD thing, but really is not at all. The bearings rely on a thin film of oil keeping the load bearing surfaces from contacting each other (I know You know this Frank, but not sure the OP has such experience) and that relies on both oil viscosity, film thickness, and surface tension of the oil. In the correct ranges, these oil properties eliminate or minimize metal-to-metal contact. When clearances become too great, the viscosity too low, or oil volume is too high, this film either doesn't form fully, or is too thick to maintain its cohesiveness, and metal meets metal. Seldom is this a friendly meeting.

So, you can "fix" this problem many times with higher volume oil pump (i.e. one that produces sufficient volume to maintain high pressure), but while you may keep the pressure up that way, you really haven't addressed the primary issue, which is that the oil film in bearing journals is still not sufficient to prevent metal-to-metal contact. Might be somewhat better, and is unlikely to hurt the situation, but the problem is still there.

But IMO, it's doubtful that the OP's issue with the buzzer going off when turning corners or hitting a bump is actually oil pressure related, unless the oil level is Really low.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)