Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:59:08 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Leak solved .9 bar pressure switch sender R&R oil on
              hatch for the archives
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@gmail.com>

You can use a long sharp punch and hammer from below to loosen this sender, then remove by hand. Then put the new one in by hand and use the same punch to tighten the new one.

Jim

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@gmail.com> wrote: > "Spray on hatch"  should be the search phrase, IMO.  Happened to me last > year and took me awhile also.  BTW-Don't need to reomove the water pump > pulley to do it, tho.  Glad you found it.   Note: I haven't heard my warning > buzzer once since I did this.  I hope it is working. > Michael in San Antonio > 91GL AT 'Gringo' > 73 Beetle > > > On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Bill Shawley <easywind1975@hotmail.com>wrote: > >> For the archives: >> >> >> >> 1986 westy >> >> >> >> Had a modest drip coming the engine from the area around the oil drain >> plug, made some feeble attempts to locate but never had any luck.  I did >> post to the list a few months ago and received many helpful replies, and >> many suggested the oil cooler o-ring was the culprit.  I cleaned things up a >> bit and watched and thought this may be the case, I tightened the fitting >> and ordered a new ring thinking I had licked the leak.  It still leaked..... >> >> >> >> I was willing to let sleeping dogs lies but I realized that on long drives >> I got the splatters on my hatch, so this week I did a thorough bottom half >> degreasing and pressure wash and figured it out, the freaking oil pressure >> sender behind the water pump was leaking.  I had already purchased a >> replacement when I went through the oil warning rehab two years ago. >> >> >> >> There are lots of posts on how to replace the sender, this is what worked >> for me; >> >> >> >> 1)  Removed water pump pulley (13mm) >> >> 2)  moved belts out way (loosened AC belt) >> >> 3)  remove wire to sender w/ long nosed pliers, cleaned area w/ rag >> >> 4)  put run of the mill 24mm deep socket (craftsman) on sender (figured out >> I had to coax some tin back w/ screwdriver) >> >> 5)  inserted 1/2 to 3/8 adapter halfway into socket put a 13mm wrench on >> the exposed part of the adapter >> >> 6)  sender came very easily with bushing attached of course used 22 mm >> wrench to get bushing off of sender >> >> 7)  cleaned bushing mating areas and attached to new sender, >> >> 8)  became very irritated when I realized I had every size copper washer >> but one I needed, went to FLAPS 1/2 mile away to get one >> >> 9)  Put sender back in van, replaced belts, just realized I half to snug up >> h20 pump pulley bolts or my wife is going to be ticked off at me when she >> takes dog to vet tomorrow >> >> 10) went for some local driving to get van up to temp, no sign of any >> drippage when looking under van >> >> >> >> Can someone tell me why I didn't just do this earlier???? >> >> >> >> >> >> _________________________________________________________________ >> Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. >> >> http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=PID23391::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HYGN_faster:082009 >> >