Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:09:20 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rolling resistance
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

I can't really agree that low unsprung mass is helpful especially for fuel economy, or that cars are built with less unsprung mass to help with fuel economy. Low unsprung mass is all about handling and ride, , and has very little affect on fuel mileage. On smooth roads, unsprung mass has no affect, even. High mileage cars get their fuel economy from, mainly -

low mass of the entire vehicle ( mass is only a factor when changing speeds or direction. When keeping a mass moving at a steady speed ins a straight line, mass, or weight, isn't really a penalty mass by itself ) , low rolling resistance - tires are a big factor there for sure, mainly width, tread design, stiffness of the tire, and tire pressure. On cars that are really serious about tire pressure............the tires are inflated with nitrogen, since it expands with heat less than air does. small frontal area of the vehicle low drag shape small engine. very tall gearing

large diameter narrow tires equal, more or less, taller gearing. Extra tire width would add to rolling resistance for sure. and with a 5 or 6 speed car with tall gearing, and close ratios in the top two gears, it would be interesting indeed to compare fuel mileage at say, 60 mph in top gear, then measure it at the same speed, but one gear lower. It's whatever is the least load on the engine ........whether that is at a higher rpm , or a lower one.

And speed of course, speed is the biggest killer of fuel mileage. And it gets worse exponentially as speed goes up. 80 mph is drastically more-fuel eating than 60 mph is.

Some might find it interesting that in very new throttle by wire cars - with a V-8 engine - for a given amount of acceleration or power requested from the engine, if it is more efficient and fuel-economical to run 4 cylinders harder and let four coast along, onboard electronics will make the engine do that. Because - at higher throttle openings ( gasoline car with a throttle ) there are less pumping losses ........so a fewer cylinders working harder, with burn less fuel than 8 cylinders working only medium hard.

Supposedly, accelerating at a fairly fast rate will burn less fuel than accelerating very gradually up to speed - because .......with a wider throttle opening, the engine is operating more efficiently during acceleration, , and you spend less time getting up to speed - saves both fuel and time. Though I usually accelerate fairly gradually to be easy on equipment myself.

Who remembers cars that could freewheel - that is, when you let off the gas, the drive between engine and trans was disconnected , so you were coasting any time you let off the gas - the engine would just return to idle rpm. Until you accelerated again. The Saab 96 with 3 cylinder two stroke engine had that, and perhaps the V-4 gasoline ones too, and so does a 1956 Chevy overdrive transmission - those can coast in freewheel mode..... and the freewheeling device, which is a ratchet basically, also could make a nice hill holder device. In neutral the car could not roll backwards on a hill. There is far less control when coasting of course, compared to 'in gear.'

One subaruvanagon guy was getting ....whatever, 20 mph, and was all excited about the better fuel mileage he was going to get with either taller gearing, or larger rear tires. His fuel mileage went down with that change !

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kim Brennan" <kimbrennan@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:07 AM Subject: Re: Rolling resistance