Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:59:05 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rolling resistance
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

I didn't phrase it particularly well. For best fuel economy you want lightweight tires/wheel/rotating mass. The rest of the unsprung weight is irrelevant towards fuel economy (though yes, you are correct it has a lot to do with handling and ride.)

Simply put, a low mass rotating body is much easier (i.e. uses a lot less energy) to spin than a higher mass rotating body. Mass always matters. If we lived in a world without friction, Newton's laws of motion would rule supreme. But we live in a world with friction, so what is in motion does not stay in motion. And to keep it in motion, requires energy. This applies both to vehicles traveling at a steady speed, as well as vehicles accelerating.

As to your assessment on what it requires for high fuel economy...

On Vanagons, while our aerodynamics are better than loafs or splitties (especially for cross winds) they are still far from an ideal shape for high fuel economy. On our vanagons, this is the single biggest factor affecting our fuel economy.

low mass of the vehicle is (curiously enough) not a big factor except for energy used in acceleration (there isn't a lot of difference between a 3000 pound vehicle and a 4000 pound vehicle in terms of energy consumption when traveling at a constant speed. RATE of acceleration is a much bigger factor in how much energy is used. The way you accelerate also is a substantial factor (there are tricks you can use that dramatically improve fuel economy, but most drivers don't know them, and most traffic situations, don't allow for them.) While a small engine can be more fuel efficient, by itself, it's really not all that critical in our vanagons. Very tall gearing. A big problem for our vanagons is that we only have 4 gears (3 in automatics) for traveling about. Engines work most efficiently in terms of fuel consumptions, at a steady speed (rpm). This is most noticible with diesels, but it is true on gas engines as well. For best fuel economy lots of closely spaced gears would be best, so as to try to keep the engine at a constant speed.

For years, auto manufacturers have been working on the infinite variable transmission. Audi has actually sold this (though only in 2 wheel drive vehicles, as it is too complex to work with their quattro system.) The concept is simple. Run the engine at a (more or less) constant speed, and change the ratio of engine rpm to transmission rpm transfer. Think of two tapered cones, with a belt between them. move the cones in or out, to vary where the belt is located. Sometimes the cone from the engine has the belt on the small part of its cone, when the cone on the transmission side has it on its big part. This is effectively low "gear". As you move the belt towards the large side of the engine cone, you also move it towards the small side of the transmission cone. This is high "gear".

Anyway. As a demonstration how driving habits can make a huge difference. In my commuter car (a Jaguar X-type manual transmission 3.0 V6), I can get anywhere from 18 mpg on a tank of gas, to 30 mpg on a tank of gas. Same car, same tires, same roads, same time of day driving. Here are the things that make a difference: AC (2-3 mpg) drag racing acceleration (pedal to the floor, rpms to 4500 before shifting), versus slow acceleration (barely touching the pedal, shifts at or before 2000 rpms) (10 mpg) coasting out of gear (this is a one that is sometimes difficult to do but keeps the rpms low and you can coast a long way.) (5-6 mpg)

Back to the Vanagon world, on the GoldBrick, I have a tiico engine, which never "seemed" get the stated fuel economy capability that Tiico claimed. In the end, it was the wheel/tires I was using. When I switch to stock sized tires (205/65R15), I started getting the 22mpg that they advertised, compared to the 18mpg I had been getting with my preferred 215/75R15 tires. (fuel economy corrected and gps verified.) For the Tiico, the biggest factor was the fuel used in acceleration. Spinning the bigger tires, just took a lot more energy, and hurt fuel economy much more that the minor extra distance those larger tires traveled on each revolution.