Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:28:30 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: need help identifying cause of noise
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

Hey Troy, that's all great to hear. I like to use a good synthetic grease in the CV joints too sometimes. I do think the small package of grease that comes with a CV joint kit .........isn't enough for one CV joint. I have taken many apart after years of being in service, and they didn't seem to have enough grease in them - like it evaporates almost, or not enough was put in in the first place. I push all the grease I can into the CV joint, like with a putty knife - all I can get in there. I fill the 'bowls' of the flanges with grease, and some of that squeezes out when I tighten down the screws. I can't see leaving it dry there - grease might go into that area where it doesn't do any good at all, so I fill 'em with grease, those 'bowls' on both ends.

I put some in the boots too. I don't stuff them with grease, just put some in. I have a package here that came with a CV joint kit, of grease. it's 3.17 ounces, or 90 grams. You can imagine 3 ounces in a 16 ounce beer glass - not much. I bet I use easily double that amount. a full grease gun tube of Moly Graph grease is 14 ounces. I get about 2 and a half CV joints out of that 14 ounces. if your guy used one of those tubes for 4 CV joints that's 3.5 ounces per. I think I do in the range of 5 to 6 ounces per, and grease in the boot and in the flange 'bowl' , not just the cv joint.

you might want to check that the CV joint Screws are good and tight after a week of running, whether you did the work yourself, or someone else did, and *especially* if someone else did the work.

Yeah, I'd consider squirting more into the boots, under the small clamp area. Then secure that end of the boot back with a wire tie, or narrow hose clamp. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Troy" <colorworks@GCI.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:19 PM Subject: need help identifying cause of noise