Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:43:37 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheel alternatives...
Comments: To: Ken Lewis <kdlewis@northstate.net>

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Ken Lewis <kdlewis@northstate.net> wrote:

> Greetings and Salutations all; > > Has anyone put together a list with makes and models of other automotive > manufactures who have the same bolt pattern as a Vanagon? I am interested > in > fifteen inch wheels. Something I can take with me to Pull-A-Part. > TIA, > Ken Lewis >

Ken,

I started to put a list together some years ago. Photos cane down when AOL Hometown was closed and I never got around to rebuilding the page. Go to:

http://vanagoncafe.com/

Click the alternative wheels pages.

Audi & Mercedes use the 5x112mm bolt pattern. The exception for Audi are the TT's which are based on a VW platform. Those are 5X100mm. Passats 1998-present and the 2005-present Golfs and Jettas are also 5X112mm. Merkur Scorpios also got the same pattern. Audi's and VW's have a 57mm centerbore. You need at least 66mm.

Before to jump for joy, consider that it takes more than the bolt pattern to fit the wheels. Offset is another thing to consider. IIRC, the steel wheels on the 14" Syncro are ET39 at 5.5". The typical Audi/VW steel rim will be ET45 at 6" (newer are ET37). The ET45 will hit some suspension parts in a 2wd up front. No issues in a Syncro (except don't forget smaller centerbore). Unless you live in the East Coast, you'll likely not find any MB steel wheels bigger than 14". Some 90's S-class Mercedes did have steel full size spares.

Happy hunting.

-- BenT